Charlbury Noise Limitation Group

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 4 Feb 2011, 10:38

Talking of noise...

The Witney Gazette reports that "RAF Brize Norton is to almost double in service personnel. More than 6,600 serving airmen ? 15 per cent of the RAF?s total personnel ? will be based at the camp as part of major expansion plans that will turn it into Britain?s only departure point for troops serving overseas."

See tinyurl.com/4sl4yht

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 3 Feb 2011, 21:16

The word "incomer" hasn't been used here for about three years and I would like to keep it that way! I'd remind you of the advice in the sticky 'Civility' posting about "people who, in complaining about the thread, just have to post and make it worse, thereby drowning out decent posts". Please, just leave it.

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 3 Feb 2011, 18:07

Susie: in the "bad old days" of the Forum a few years ago I was told to go back to where I came from on at least one occasion and so were a number of other people so rest assured that it has happened. I hoped we'd moved away from that sort of thing and that's why I was a bit alarmed that an "anti-incomer" attitude seemed to be creeping into these discussions. If you look back at this thread and the related "Wilderness Festival" thread you will find a number of comments such as "perhaps Charlbury is not the right location for you", "if you don't like the heat get out of the kitchen" and Julie's aforementioned "for those of you that don't like it, I sugest you make the most of the railway and book a one way ticket" (those are all exact quotes by the way). Effectively, all these posters are saying "get out of Charlbury" which doesn't seem to be a very helpful sentiment and could be construed as offensive even by people less tediously politically correct than me!

I do get so sick of constantly being hit over the head with the incomer stick! The word "incomer" is almost always used pejoratively on this Forum and could usefully be outlawed. Like you Susie, I know a number of newcomers to Charlbury who do a great deal of good for the town.

Julie Negus
👍

Thu 3 Feb 2011, 15:13

I mentioned the railway, but for the record said nothing of newcomers, or mentioned anyone by name.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 3 Feb 2011, 13:30

Derek I dont think anyone wants to send "newcomers" back! Wouldn't that make Charlbury boring? I for one am glad there are people moving into Charlbury, who now find it the best thing since sliced bread! On Monday at the Street Fair Social we have several "newcomers" who have offered their services - not always true of those who have been borne and bred here.

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 3 Feb 2011, 12:33

On a point of order Charlie, you can't agree 100% with what Graham said and then disagree with his last paragraph! However, I do take your point and thanks anyway for implanting in my head the delightful image of Mark Hofman being dragged through the streets of Charlbury kicking and screaming, plonked down in a field somewhere and forced to listen to loud rock music against his will! I don't think it will work by the way but it certainly made me chuckle.

I'm also glad to learn that you are not one of this growing band of posters who want to put all incomers on a train and send them back to where they came from. Do these people have no sense of history or any idea of how insensitive they are being when they talk about "sending them back" and "putting people on trains"? Yeah right, charter a couple of HSTs from FGW, send us all back to where we came from and then you can live in a town populated entirely by people who were born and bred in Charlbury, have lived here all their lives and all agree with each other on every single topic under the sun. Won't it be just a little bit boring guys?

Charlie M
👍

Tue 1 Feb 2011, 17:18

I absolutely agree 100% with what Graham W writes. I am also an "incomer", having been here some 15 years. Charlbury is blessed with a marvellous variety of functions, and it is a privilege to have events such as regular QUALITY live music at The Rose and Crown, the various festivals, and all sorts of other musical, artistic, cultural and general interest events.
I wish Mr. Hofman well, but I sincerely hope that his intentions are NOT to limit in ANY way the scope of these events, because I think that would be a most terrible shame.

As Graham said, Charlbury is indeed a fantastic place to live. But if I may differ slightly with his allegory at the end of his message ... I hope Mr. Hofman will stay and ENJOY these events ... maybe stand a little further away from the cooker, rather than leave the kitchen altogether!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 1 Feb 2011, 11:55

The rally would not, in the past, have required a licence. But now that a premises licence has been granted, much more stringent safeguards are in place.

As a result, restrictions have been imposed by the SAG committee, as reported to the Town Council by Nick Potter who attended the SAG meeting with Roger Clarke.

In other words, the granting of the licence has brought additional safeguards for Charlbury residents, and additional scrutiny and control by both the district and town councils.

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 1 Feb 2011, 09:34

Re the Car Rally: we were told at the Town Council that this is not an event that is covered by the licence that has been applied for. As a neighbour, Frank, you have the right to ask WODC why it does not require a licence. I don't know if it's because it's covered by some past or by an existing individual licence, or if it does not require a licence at all (as seemed to be suggested by something that was said at the TC).

The audience at Town Council meetings can't ask questions, as you know, unless they have been notified in advance, or I would have asked about this myself. But the existence of the Rally is not good grounds for objecting to the new Cornbury Park Licence.

Frank Payne
👍

Mon 31 Jan 2011, 11:18

I think this shows how far the Rotherwick's promise to have only one noisy event a year can be trusted. The last time they held a rally, for classic cars I remember, the noise of the engines in Charlbury across the valley was simply intolerable, and that was for only one day, this will be for two it seems and on a much bigger scale. I really don't see why the Rotherwicks should make life such a misery for people living here. Does this set the tone for all the other 'noise free' events they are planning?

Michael Flanagan
👍

Mon 31 Jan 2011, 09:26

"Not only can there be only 1 noisy festival at Cornbury each year"

So how do the Rotherwicks justify a car rally that's averaged 17,000 visitors a year for the past four years?

The press release (www.therallyshow.org/news-cornbury.php) for their May 14 rally boasts "Competing cars will be able to start at thirty second intervals which will enable us to pack as much action as possible into the two-day event"

This is going to be a silent event? Or remotely compatible with what the Council claims has been agreed?

As a neighbour of Cornbury - I'd far rather have a few hours' background music than the din of as many high-pitched noisy cars as the Rothwerwicks can pack into two days.

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 30 Jan 2011, 23:14

Derek
At the Town Council meeting we were told that the Cornbury Park Licence that was eventually granted has some novel features that have not been brought out in this forum.

Not only can there be only 1 noisy festival at Cornbury each year (which I think we knew already), but there will be a measurement of the cumulative effect of noise produced by the various events licensed at Cornbury. Also, the Safety Advisory Group has the right to look at every event that comes under the licence (which never previously happened).

I don't think those ever did oppose the goals of the NLG fit into 'noisy event good' category in any simple way -- I, for one, was originally opposed to the granting of the licence & thought I would formally oppose it. I changed my mind once it became clear that an excellent modification to the licence would be forthcoming. I'm less than clear that those who have lodged an appeal against the granting of the licence have bothered to try & understand its details.

And, by the way, there has been some (unresolved) discussion on this forum of the feasibility of Charlbury School producing food for 2 different festivals. I think it would be a real mistake to suppose that Charlbury & local charities will not lose out should the Wilderness Festival (& all other licensable Cornbury Park events) be blocked.

Derek Collett
👍

Sun 30 Jan 2011, 19:24

I am sure you are right Graham: if you did a survey at the events you mentioned then the majority of people would probably agree that they were a good thing. But what would that prove? You would just be sampling a group of people who were attending those events of their own volition with the express intention of enjoying themselves! A statistician would say that you were sampling a completely unrepresentative study population and that any conclusions you chose to draw from those results would thus be rendered invalid. I am sure that if I surveyed all those people who leave Charlbury when those events are on because they don?t like them or all those people who choose to stay at home rather than attend those events then I would get a very different answer! It doesn't prove anything in my opinion.

I had hoped that with my postings and the very wise and sensible one from Cally that we were moving away from the polarisation of this issue and trying to explore some sort of middle ground. Surely there must be some intermediate position between the twin poles of ?Noisy events bad, let?s ban them? and ?Noisy events great, let?s have lots of them?? This is not just a black or white issue ? there are subtle shades of grey inbetween!

Can I stress here that I hope the Wilderness Festival does go ahead and that it is a success for those community organisations that rely on it in order to make money? On this subject, if you go to the Cornbury Festival website, there is a video made by Witney TV. In it, Hugh Phillimore clearly states that Charlbury School will be at Cornbury Festival (the one at Great Tew) this year. Therefore, even if Wilderness does not go ahead, the School should not lose out financially. An important point that I don't think has yet been made on this Forum.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Fri 28 Jan 2011, 13:06

Well said Graham!!! Yes, Mark do come along to the Street Fair Social evening next Monday, 31st January at 7.30, Rose & Crown and see some of the hard work which goes into organising it - let alone the Beer Festival, Riverside, Cornbury etc. All these events are held to raise money for our lovely town - many people come from outside Charlbury to these events, on an annual basis and love the community spirit which makes up Charlbury. See you next Monday!

graham W
👍

Thu 27 Jan 2011, 18:45

I think that intended followers of the NLG and Mr Hoffman come down to the Street Fair, Riverside and Beer Festivals and the May Day Fair, let alone the other well worhwhile events in Charlbury, and ask all the antendees for thier opinion! - These events help bring the town together from all walks of life with an ultimate aim to raise monies for clubs etc. This gives everyone something to look foward throughout the year and participate should they wish to. It seems that we are an envy to a number of people outside the town that we have such a lively and caring community.

Yes We did move up from London but have accepted the way in of life in this FANTASTIC town and would not want to change it in any way or form. Basically if you dont like the heat get out of the kitchen!!!!

Dave Oates
👍

Tue 25 Jan 2011, 13:23

I have a burning question for Mr Hoffman - can you tell us whether you have appealed against (or intend to appeal) the licence for Cornbury which was approved recently? I ask because I believe WODC have extended the final submission dates for appeals by one week, which suggests they have been notified that someone intends to. If so, can you tell the community the grounds for that appeal?

Cally Robson
👍

Sun 23 Jan 2011, 18:51

I feel the Noise Limitation Group is a great opportunity to start an open, balanced discussion about events and noise levels in the town. Mark, please do sign me up to the group.

Far better to listen to all sides, understand and reach compromises than turn this into a divisive issue for Charlbury.

I for one love silence and value quiet. But I also appreciate the events in and around Charlbury for the sense of vibrancy and community they bring. I understand that while I hear community sounds as as a celebration of life (whether or not I'm taking part), others find it vexacious.

Thank heavens we're all different!

The art, for me, is in the give and take, the finding of a middle way.

So I'd join the many good voices in postings in this thread that urge for this to be an open discussion. And the sooner the better.

With best regards to all.

Cally

Derek Collett
👍

Sat 22 Jan 2011, 20:48

Thanks for the clarification John.

John Munro
👍

Sat 22 Jan 2011, 19:31

Derek,
More that happy to advise you that I have absolutely no allegiances what so ever. I am simply a resident of Charlbury, who enjoys all the festivals and events that take place in and around the town. I just don't want to see The Wilderness Festival at Cornbury (or any of the other activities and events planned for the estate) stopped by what I can only see as a minority of others. I just feel that there has been a certain amount of misunderstanding about the extent of what is proposed.

Derek Collett
👍

Sat 22 Jan 2011, 18:52

Thank you for your comment Mark but I would like to make it clear that I am not affiliated to the NLG in any way; the views I was expressing are purely my own and I would need to hear a lot more about the aims and intentions of such…

Long post - click to read full text

Mark Hofman
👍

Sat 22 Jan 2011, 10:12

Many thanks to Derek Collett for his reply to a number of postings. He has said much of what I would have said, and very cogently, so there is no need to repeat it. The rest is set out in my original posting.

We are still in the process of organising the group. When we are fully up and running we will of course be happy to discuss the question of noise with event organisers.

John Munro
👍

Fri 21 Jan 2011, 20:43

Paul
I am not trying to be antigonistic here in any way and personally I would quite happily accept your assurances that the cricket club does not intend to hold more events than you mention, but what is good for the goose is good for the gander. If we in Charlbury are prepared to accept the word of the cricket club, why won't the objectors accept the word of the Rotherwicks?
The objectors to the Cornbury licence often cited the fact that the licence 'allows' them to hold the maximum number of events they have applied for. For the sake of fairness, all of us, objectors and supporters alike, should either accept the assurances of both the Rotherwicks and the cricket club, or (wrongly in my mind) distrust both parties and believe that both would and could hold the maximum number of events!

Deleted user
👍

Fri 21 Jan 2011, 20:09

John. Just so you are aware the cricket club has no intention of holding anywhere near the number of events we are permitted under our premises licence. In fact during 2011 we are planning only two, the summer Ball and a marquee wedding for a local resident of Charlbury. We will additionally hold the bonfire night in November but this is generally over by 9pm. We are all volunteers and only hold functions to raise money for the club.

I think that if all the groups including Cornbury were to list their events you would find we are actually only talking about a few evenings out of 365 available in a year. My understanding is that all the event organizers are happy to work with Mark and his group and hence we are all keen to see what Marks proposal is following the comments made on this forum.

John Munro
👍

Fri 21 Jan 2011, 19:01

Derek
Out of interest, are you prepared to accept the assurances that Lady Rotherwick has already given in that they have no intention of increasing the number of events beyond what they have already planned/previously held and the only 'large' events will be 'The Wilderness Festival' (to replace the one going to Great Tew), the Car Rally and possibly 'The Wychwood Forest Fair'.
That being the case, it won't be the Cornbury Estate that increases the frequency of noisy events - more likely to be the cricket club!

Derek Collett
👍

Fri 21 Jan 2011, 18:46

Thanks Dave. I've been suffering with flu all week so probably didn't express myself quite as clearly as I would have liked! What I was trying to suggest was that the frequency of noisy events in Charlbury at present seems about right to me and that it should stay much the same. It's just about possible to envisage a situation whereby there could conceivably be some sort of noisy event going on every weekend throughout the summer months and I for one would say that would then be excessive. Under those hypothetical conditions, some people might still say "Oh, don't complain, it's for charity!" but that wouldn't really wash and in fact those charities would probably quickly lose support as a result. There must therefore be some sort of tipping point at which the level of large events becomes unacceptable to the majority of Charlbury residents and that's the point I was trying (probably ineffectively) to make. Like you, I await with interest hearing more on this topic from Mr Hofman and hopefully some sensible middle course can be found eventually.

Incidentally, my hearing is still being affected after an exceptionally noisy rock gig in Manchester in December so I am not against loud music per se and am certainly not some shrinking violet who sits at home doing embroidery and swooning every time a sparrow sings too loudly outside his window!

Dave Oates
👍

Fri 21 Jan 2011, 12:58

Derek, I applaud your well-balenced posting and for putting forward your views. The whole basis of my argument is that Charlbury is exceptional for its'diversity, creativity and balence between peaceful Cotswolds life and vibrant, thriving sense of community and I would hate to see that fabric damaged. This is the reason that I have asked Mr Hoffman to firstly, explain exactly what it his he intends to do (there are many rumours circulating and I would rather not comment on those) and secondly, be prepared to debate the topic in a public forum. I am happy to set that public session up anytime, anywhere (although the Memorial Hall would be the best place!!) and have a formal debate to allow both sides to put forward their arguments and proposals. Indeed, in light of the vehement reaction that the subject has provoked, I would even suggest an independant (ie Non-Charlbury) facilitator to ensure fairness. Mr Hoffman said he wanted to wait a week before responding. That week is up today so I look forward to his reply.

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 20 Jan 2011, 18:49

I would like to try to inject some balance into what has so far been a very one-sided (and rather unedifying) thread.

I moved to Charlbury in 2004 because after living for many years in a noisyish part of Oxford (and suffering from the actions of some very noisy neighbours)…

Dave Oates
👍

Mon 17 Jan 2011, 21:21

It would be better to allay people's worries now rather than wait for a week. This is of prime concern for many people as you can see by the postings and the community at large is interested to hear your plans in more detail - there are already a number of rumours flying around. One thing I would ask is, "have you attended any of the events in the town, such as Riverside, The Beer Festival, the superb music nights in The Rose and Crown or shows at The Shed and Cornerhouse?" If not, you should and see the number of people that attend and enjoy them to give you a better appreciation of the cultural depth and vibrancy within Charlbury.

Mark Hofman
👍

Mon 17 Jan 2011, 17:53

Dave, I am proposing to let this run for a week and then answer all in one go.

Dave Oates
👍

Mon 17 Jan 2011, 15:46

It seems that Mr Hofman has decided not to respond to the postings below but is now emailing like-minded people to engender support for his cause and a possible legal bid to enforce the noise abatement issue that he believes exists. This is of course his right. However, I believe it would be good to have a more public debate before this gets out of hand and seriously damages the fabric of Charlbury (potentially for the long term). I therefore invite you, Mr Hofman, to host a public discussion to allow interested parties to air their views. I am sure based on what I have seen on here and heard around the town that this would be well attended - indeed, it could be the best attended meeting in Charlbury for some years! I would definitely be there and putting forward my arguments.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 16 Jan 2011, 23:49

Eyjafjallajokull...Doh. That wasn't summer ;-) I didn't think that applied to internal combustion engines at low altitudes anyway but stand to be corrected! But the constant drone of light aircraft overhead using us as a navigational marker to change direction is the biggest REAL noise pollution source over 24 hours by far - helicopter training flights are much less frequent even if can be annoyingly late at night.

If we want a local noise pollution ordnance to be enacted I would suggest we direct our ire at the CAA rather than the Festivals, which do so much to enrich our small Cotswold "chocolate box top" town and which I support (having kids at the Primary School!).

Yes I'm lucky to live at the other end of town so only hear the odd catch of noise from Riverside or Cornbury wafted on a draft of air, but all the same the benefits outweigh the disadvantages to so many hereabouts like my just turned teenage daughter who feels safe to go around with her gang at the festivals, unsupervised, with the school tea tent with known people so near. Not a trivial point. We are lucky to have an event with such local involvement rather than a huge anonymous gathering.

Ben Peters
👍

Sun 16 Jan 2011, 22:00

In short, I agree with most people except the original poster, and support local events. In long:

I've lived in Charlbury with my family for a little over two years (does that make me a newcomer? I guess so.) and have never noticed any problem with noise from any festival or event. Sure, I've heard some beats wafting over the hills but by the time they've reached my house (Dancer's Hill previously, Hixet Wood now) they're so diluted that they're easily blocked by our not-exactly-sound-proof windows. Even if we've had to have the windows open on a hot summer night there's been no problem. That applies to all events, be it Cornbury, Riverside, the Cricket Club or anything else. The noise certainly hasn't been sufficient enough to put me off buying a place here having previously been renting!

Further, I've never noticed any problem with the organization of events in terms of causing a public order nuisance, increasing the number of noisy folks in the town etc. My parents were visiting on the weekend of the last Cornbury and they couldn't believe how quiet the town was considering there was a fair-sized festival going on nearby.

Clearly the worries over large numbers of events are being blown out of all proportion. I'm afraid to say that there simply is not enough demand for large numbers of amplified music events (these being the ones that will likely make the most noise). Those that do go on provide a vital service to local organizations in terms of fund-raising (see my posts elsewhere in my capacity as treasurer of the Pre-School).

Charlbury allows me to have my chocolate box and eat it; to live in an idyllic Cotswold town whilst getting a sense of vibrancy, fun and a great community spirit. I understand that to some noise is an issue but in my opinion Charlbury really isn't that noisy, even when events are going on.

Let's maintain the character of Charlbury - Let's support our local events.

Edward Fenton
👍

Sun 16 Jan 2011, 21:58

Eyjafjallajokull.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 16 Jan 2011, 21:35

What no fly zone last summer was that? I was unaware of any such thing and wonder how it came about. I don't remember any particular diminution of light aircraft noise but then it wasn't the sort of summer I spent much time sitting outside with the laptop, alas. But the constant overflying of Charlbury by light aircraft is becoming irritating even to a one time childhood 'plane fanatic such as myself. It is such a small area that it would be easy to have aircraft mandated to not overfly the town without much diversion from their courses.

So if another application or similar to make this permanent was to be attempted to be put in place then it would get my support (with the possible exception of allowing the odd exotic plane like the Battle of Britain Flight and the only flying Vulcan which both made close passes overhead last summer I just happened to be outside to see, quite a sight especially the Vulcan!).

My particular hate is the many times daily in flying weather that the Piper Apache with unsynchronised engines beating out of time with each other goes over - obviously doing circuits to Kidlington and back around where it turns over the town to circuit back to the airport. Clearly a training plane I think. Puts my teeth on edge every time grrr! It doesn't have to use US as a visual marker to make its approach turns!!

Helen Holwill
👍

Sun 16 Jan 2011, 21:21

Just a thought, perhaps we could supply those with sensitive ears with earplugs and/or ear defenders solve this issue?

glena chadwick
👍

Sun 16 Jan 2011, 18:16

I opposed the original application because it spread its net so wide; it seemed to me obvious that it was going to alarm many people. I think it was right to oppose it in that form but have no objection now it has been sensibly modified. I do agree though that haviing both festivals on the same weekend is rather a recipe for chaos !
As regards the Riverside, Cricket club and Beer Festival and other events I agree that they help to make Charlbury the vibrant and lively place that we all love. I know I don't live somewhere which is quite as affected by noise as others do but I would hate these occasions to be curtailed. Perhaps the people who are really troubled by the noise could have talks with the organisers to see if any further 'tweaking' would help.

john h
👍

Sun 16 Jan 2011, 13:43

Not true Harriet, the main reason for the decline in Funfairs was a falling out between the two local operator,and the Showmans Guild.

In my time as a Gifford Trustee (owners of the Playing Close)many attemps to encourage the fair to Charlbury were made,but I think economics now has a hand in the decline of this type of entertainment,shame really.

John H

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Sun 16 Jan 2011, 13:05

There used to be an annual fun fair on the Playing Close which I believe was stopped once the school was converted into flats because the new residents didn't like the noise?

BTW John Dora is right about the aeroplanes, although myself I'd attribute it mainly to light aircraft (and particularly one which does aerobatics practise once a week when the weather is good) rather than the high-altitude transatlantic flights or military jets. I don't have particularly good hearing but it is a PITA and the no-fly zones last summer were a pleasant relief.

Katie Ewer
👍

Sun 16 Jan 2011, 11:42

The only noise nuisance I have ever experienced in 11 years of living in and around Charlbury is low-flying helicopters, which seems to be the one thing that is unavoidable. If you really find the occasional town event so disruptive, perhaps Charlbury is not the right location for you? There are many more rural and less vibrant villages and hamlets where community events simply can't be heard or don't take place. Tranquility is not the same as silence. You say that you don't want to stop people from enjoying themselves, but the outcome of protesting against these events will be just that. Judging by opinion so far on here, the complaints of a vocal minority might impact on the enjoyment of the majority, which seems to be the case so often these days! Maybe we should start a counter group called Charlbury Fun Maximisation Group or Charlbury Community Events Support Group and see which gets the most support?

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Sun 16 Jan 2011, 10:35

Quote from John Dora
"Don't mind the noise from events. DO mind the constant drone of jet aircraft especially in the summer evenings when they pass overhead at 10,000 - 15,000 feet.....! "

Where on earth do you live John? I have lived in Charlbury for 27 years, and have never come across this "constant drone of jet aircraft" of which you speak.

Either your hearing is as acutely sensitive as a dog, or I am going deaf, which is certainly not the case, or you are attributing the noise incorrectly.

Kat Patrick
👍

Sat 15 Jan 2011, 23:37

And helicopters, don't forget!

John Dora
👍

Sat 15 Jan 2011, 21:58

Don't mind the noise from events. DO mind the constant drone of jet aircraft especially in the summer evenings when they pass overhead at 10,000 - 15,000 feet.....!

Helen Holwill
👍

Sat 15 Jan 2011, 21:34

I also support all of the mentioned events and highly value Charlbury's vibrant community. I'd like to join Russell in thanking people for all the hard work the event organisers put in behind the scenes. From what I know, there is a relatively small group of people who have had the vision, energy and positivity to create these fabulous events. Not only do these varied events bring much needed funds as mentioned in previous postings, but I personally consider them to be both appropriate for the town and excellently managed.

John Munro
👍

Sat 15 Jan 2011, 21:15

Susie, Well said!

russell robson
👍

Sat 15 Jan 2011, 20:24

I couldn't agree more with the comments made on the original posting from Mark in this thread.

I have never experienced noise levels in Charlbury that are not entirely appropriate for this vibrant Cotswold town.

The community benefits from the hard work of many groups and individuals that make Charlbury one of the best towns to live in, in the Cotswolds. The events and clubs, for all ages, add to the town's character and sustainability. The efforts of these people goes largely unrecognised. People are constantly trying innovative ways to keep groups solvent so others can enjoy the sports, arts and music on offer.

So as a side thread, thank you to all those running and fundraising for all the clubs, community facilities and events that happen in Charlbury. You deserve a big hand.

And, Mark please do add me to your Noise group list so we can constructively channel our efforts for benefit of all residents of Charlbury

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sat 15 Jan 2011, 19:23

I endorse all of what Dave, John, Christine, Paul and Tim have to say - Charlbury is a vibrant community and has always been for the 27 years that I have lived here (is it really that much!) Street Fair, the Beer Festival, Riverside and Cornbury are now all part of what makes Charlbury, Charlbury. Unfortunately Mark is a newcomer to the town, and in perhaps part of the noisiest part of town. However I'm up for joining this group to give a balanced view and to put to those who oppose anything which may be classed as "fun" how these events (including Cornbury) help the many organisations in the town with fundraising - Street Fair is just a fundraising exercise for the Corner House and Memorial Hall - Riverside lets lots of others raise many at the event - Beer Festival raises money for the school and many other charities in Charlbury and Cornbury lets the School Association and others hold stalls at the festival in order that they may raise funds. I know that the School Association raised over £6000 at the last Cornbury festival, and having been a past member of this, realise how much is needed.

Mark, do you really think that we are going to have "18 noise-making events" ? Cornbury only ever want a licence for the festival and were made to have one that included more by West Oxfordshire DC.

Judging by the views on the forum, I think you could be outnumbered!

Alison Cherry
👍

Sat 15 Jan 2011, 17:58

Mark...... Can I ask how long you have lived in Charlbury and as a resident living on the Playing Close will you object to the Farmers Markets, May Day Fair and Street Fair?

Liz Leffman
👍

Sat 15 Jan 2011, 17:20

Although I was one of the objectors to the original Cornbury license application, my objection was to an insensitively structured license, which I believe has now been sorted to most peoples' satisfaction. I love the fact that we have a lively cricket club, for which money was raised through events that involved local people, and for a very good cause. The Riverside Festival seems to be populated by some of the nicest young people imaginable, and the beer festival is a fantastic fund raiser for our primary school. What's not to like? Charlbury is a very special place and I want it to stay that way.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sat 15 Jan 2011, 12:04

One person's heaven is another person's hell. If we cannot accept and tolerate that, and appreciate and value the diversity, life will be hell for all. Trying to define Charlbury by excluding other people, rather than including them, seems a sorry route to take. I enjoy Charlbury precisely because of the mix of interests and tastes, likes and dislikes, all co-existing happily. Long may it stay that way.

Tim crisp
👍

Sat 15 Jan 2011, 09:46

Very well put Paul, and others. Given the possible implications of the outcome of this process and concern it seems to have generated across a large part of the community, an open meeting might well be in the best interests of Charlbury. Mark, as you have already proposed a public meeting, would this be something you would be willing to organise and make inclusive for all views to be expressed?

Deleted user
👍

Sat 15 Jan 2011, 00:10

I think Dave, Christine and John probably are expressing what 95% of Charlbury think.

My family are proud of the contribution that the beer festival, riverside, cornbury, street fair and the new summer ball at the cricket club make. In fact as a family and community member of Charlbury I…

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 14 Jan 2011, 19:01

I also agree with John & Dave. It's claimed that excessive noise is a issue for 'many residents of Charlbury', and I really doubt this. Concerns of a small group of residents should be taken up with the Town Council or WODC, not dignified with an official sounding name that has Charlbury in the title. The promise of anonymity also does not help!

Why not simply ally yourselves to the Noise Abatement Society, rather than make it sound as if you represent local concerns in some representative way?

John Munro
👍

Fri 14 Jan 2011, 18:06

Dave
I agree with you entirely. The suggestion that there will now be a further 18 noise-making events is clear an exaggeration of the facts. Of the 10 'smaller' events that Cornbury could potentially now run, only 5 can have any sort of amplified music anyway - and Cornbury haven't even said that they do indeed intend holding 10 events - that is the maximum allowed! In addition to the fun-runs and charity events etc you mention below, these 10 smaller events have to include anything organised on the estate and have to include any wedding or small social event that takes place and might even be for less than 100 people - hardly a significant noise nuisance for residents of Charlbury.
It is surprising that not one single objector at the hearing on Monday mentioned the noise made by Street Fair - but I guess that Street Fair fits with the 'chocolate box' image you describe and therefore completely acceptable. I also wonder whether there would be such an 'issue' if the music played at Cornbury, Riverside or on the cricket ground were of a orchestral or classical nature!
As Dave says - please don't jeopardies what we have as a community.

Dave Oates
👍

Fri 14 Jan 2011, 15:30

I am sure that this new group will be full of newcomers to Charlbury who would like the town to adhere to an idealised "chocolate-box" image with absolutely no events whatsoever. The Riverside Festival, Beer Festival, Street Fair etc are long-standing features of Charlbury Life and whilst they do increase noise levels, they are for very short periods of time and are invaluable to the fabric of the community and to the fund-raising efforts of several local organisations. As for the huge number of events due to be held at Cornbury, as you will see from previous threads, only one will be a festival. The bulk of those events are fun runs, charity events etc where the licence allows the organisers to legally entertain vistors and if they so wish, run stalls etc. The loudest event in the town (excluding Cornbury) is the Riverside Festival and having been involved in its'organisation since the inception, I am not aware of any serious complaints about noise levels from either residents or official bodies. Charlbury is generally a peaceful place to live but its' attraction is also the vibrancy and creativity of the community as a whole. Please bear this in mind when organising protests which strike at the very core of the town.

Mark Hofman
👍

Fri 14 Jan 2011, 11:34

Noise is something which affects all of us in way or another. Following the experience of an increasing number of noisy events last summer, it is a growing concern for many residents of Charlbury. We already have the Riverside Festival and the Beer Festival. With the recent grant of licences…

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.