Charlbury Noise Limitation Group

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 20 Jan 2011, 18:49

I would like to try to inject some balance into what has so far been a very one-sided (and rather unedifying) thread.

I moved to Charlbury in 2004 because after living for many years in a noisyish part of Oxford (and suffering from the actions of some very noisy neighbours) I was looking for some peace and quiet and an environment in which I would be able to work from home in relatively uninterrupted fashion. I was certainly not expecting sepulchral silence and I have been pleased to find that, as other posters have mentioned, there is quite a lot going on in Charlbury and I myself have participated in events such as Street Fair, the Beer Festival and the fireworks display since I've been here.

Whilst in general I find that Charlbury is a pleasant and fairly quiet place in which to live, it is at least my perception that it has become noisier in recent years and that one reason for this is the increasing proliferation of large, noisy events. Cornbury is a good example. At some point in the last few years, the volume of music experienced in the middle of Charlbury did appear to be greatly increased and so either the volume had been turned up or (as was stated on this forum at the time) the wind conveniently changed direction for the duration of the festival. Whatever the reason, the noise nuisance was undoubtedly increased and I struggled to work as a result. Last year I avoided the problem by going away for most of the weekend but not all affected Charlbury residents will be able to do the same and, anyway, should I really be forced to take that course of action? I, for one, am therefore glad that Cornbury has decamped to Great Tew and I hope that Wilderness will prove to be a little quieter!

Paul Jenkins has eloquently put forward the views of the Cricket Club on this matter. As a fellow member, I don't wish to add much to what he has said already. However, I think we have to accept that the Club is now perceived as part of the "Charlbury noise problem" (whether fairly or not) and that we need to continue to act responsibly and with restraint in this connection. Casting my mind back, I can think of only 5 or 6 "noisy" events that took place at the cricket ground in 2010. One of those was the fireworks, which is only noisy for a short while and is over by the middle of the evening at the latest. Another was the Summer Ball, which brought in as much revenue for the Club than if we had run 40?50 car boot sales (I wonder which option the community would prefer?). I know of no plans to substantially increase the number of events held at the ground in 2011.

I am at a loss to know why Mr Hofman's original posting caused such a furore. He (and other people like him) have identified a problem of concern to them and, rather than just whining about it, are proposing a potential solution to that problem. I think at the very least they deserve a hearing. Am I the only one to appreciate the delicious irony of a posse of people attempting to loudly shout down a man complaining about there being too much noise? Mr Hofman (whom I do not know at all) is proposing a Noise LIMITATION Group. If he were proposing a Noise ERADICATION Group then I would understand if you were all up in arms but he is not. If I understand him correctly, he is proposing to cap the volume and frequency of noisy events at about the level that exists at the moment. If I am right, then he has my tentative support. If I am wrong, and he wishes to stamp out events that I know are enjoyed by a great many people and bring in substantial revenue for many worthwhile local causes, then I would vehemently oppose the aims of the NLG.

A few years ago, someone on this forum expressed the view that "it would be great if Charlbury became established as a venue for outdoor rock concerts". Well, great for that particular individual perhaps but for everyone? For the elderly, the parents of very young children, the sick, those working night shifts who need sleep during the day, etc.? I don't think so! I don't know exactly what the demographic of this forum is but I would guess that the majority of its users are aged between about 30 and 60. Many elderly people do not have internet access and are thus excluded from the discussions that take place on this forum. I would be willing to bet good money that if you asked the population of over-70s in Charlbury if they would like more noisy events in 2011 what the majority response would be! The views of this unheard segment of the Charlbury population should not be ignored when debating issues such as this one.

Given the comments made earlier in this thread about low-flying aircraft, helicopters and the like and concerns expressed in this forum in recent years about illegal raves in Wychwood Forest, unexplained humming noises, loud private parties, etc. it is clear to me that there could be a future role for some sort of NLG, at least in terms of monitoring noise levels, logging disturbances and bringing complaints to the ears of the appropriate authority. Environmental Health can't be everywhere at once!

We live in an increasingly noisy society and one in which enjoying yourself in a very loud and conspicuous fashion is seen as both desirable and almost de rigueur at times (the riotous binge-drinkers that disfigure our city centres are the most obvious manifestation of this trait, but far from the only one). Some of us, however, are able to enjoy ourselves in a more restrained and responsible fashion and to derive pleasure from quieter activities. Standing up for a quiet way of life and not wishing Charlbury to change out of all recognition is not the same as being a killjoy or spoilsport. If I'd wanted loud music and noisy parties 24/7 I would have moved to Brighton, not Charlbury!

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.