Wilderness 2021 - Update

James Norris
👍

Fri 27 May 2022, 12:13

Thanks Chris, appreciated 

Chris Tatton
👍 2

Fri 27 May 2022, 10:30

Hi James. Suggest they arrive in Charlbury by train. Then cycle or walk through Charlbury, and along Park Street and into Cornbury Park via North Lodge entrance. Lovely walk or cycle up there. 

If bringing a tent and heavy back pack,etc, there is a regular bus shuttle service from the train station, or some excellent local taxis firms. 

James Norris
👍 2

Fri 27 May 2022, 08:06 (last edited on Fri 27 May 2022, 08:10)

Came looking for tips for best access route to the festival to pass onto friends, stayed for the hilarious moaning about noise. Would be interesting to see a Venn diagram of those saying it’s a nuisance and those defending church bells late into the evening in the other thread on here.

But if anybody knows the shortest route from Charlbury, I’d be much obliged. 👍🏻

Alex Flynn
👍 3

Thu 12 Aug 2021, 20:54

Credit to Rosemary Bennett too :)

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Thu 12 Aug 2021, 20:52

So succinctly put as usual Mr Oates! 

Tony Morgan
👍 8

Wed 11 Aug 2021, 15:51

Dave excellent summary as usual and Rosemary very appropriate comments

My sons said it was an excellent festival despite the lead up problems

Dave Oates
👍 39

Wed 11 Aug 2021, 14:20 (last edited on Wed 11 Aug 2021, 14:21)

I am a little late to the debate after what I thought was a fantastic Wilderness, albeit with a few challenges mainly caused, in my opinion, by supply restrictions as a result of COVID. However, and it is no secret that I am a huge supporter of the event, when you consider the time constraints LiveNation faced in putting something together in a matter of weeks rather than months, I thought it was a triumph. After 18 months of no live events, it was a joy to dance in a (slightly) muddy Cornbury and to see kids, young adults and old gits like me having a great time. I know the event causes an impact to our wonderful town, with much heavier traffic loads, increased noise etc, but surely as a community, we should embrace such a renowned event once a year and not spend our time knocking it. And as Rosie Bennett said in her post, if only you spent as much time getting angry about the destruction of the planet; children dying in their own homes through bombings; poverty or the increasing wealth gap, perhaps we could  make a real difference to the world rather than just worrying whether we lose some sleep for 4 nights a year!!!

Rosemary Bennett
👍 3

Wed 11 Aug 2021, 12:44

Thanks, James.

Alex Flynn
👍

Tue 10 Aug 2021, 23:08

Has Emma left the building?

Hannen Beith
👍 4

Tue 10 Aug 2021, 12:18

Completely agree with Phil Morgan and Wendy Bailey.

Fireworks?  I used to put on a better display in my back garden for my children.

A damp squib.

James Styring
👍 11

Tue 10 Aug 2021, 11:40

Hear, hear, Rosemary Bennett, who with 27 Likes to her post surely holds the record for number of Likes on a single post! (Admins, please confirm.)

100ish posts ago, Rosemary said:

If people made as much fuss about the climate changing irreversibly, wild fires in Greece and all around the world, children being bombed out of their homes and starving, just for starters, as they do about about a bit of noise, there just might be some hope.

Speaking of hope but staying very local – to address issues such as speeding, dangerous junctions, lack of amenity in the town centre, and parking and commuter traffic, the Town Council needs to have a clear picture of traffic movements within and through the town, including vehicles parking to access shops. To do this, we’re conducting a traffic survey and we're asking for volunteers to HELP us.

We’re doing two surveys (term time and not): Tuesday 31 August and Tuesday 14 September, probably 07:00–09:00; 12:00–14:00; and 16:30–18:30.

Thank you to the seven who have volunteered so far! We need a few more though, please, to make this work. If you can spare some time either day and fancy helping make Charlbury an even better place, please get in touch. It should be quite good fun, and it will make a difference. More info and joining details at https://www.charlbury.info/news/3605. HOPING YOU CAN HELP US?

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Tue 10 Aug 2021, 07:45 (last edited on Tue 10 Aug 2021, 12:12)

Wishful thinking Janet.

I've spent years of "the Wilderness weekend" picking up cans of beer/lager  - sometimes with some contents in (well, a bit!) and plonking them in the recycle bin or whatever.

This year has been no exception, apart from someone leaving a bit of machinery (engine part?) by the FiveWays bus stop, which I can't lift, and don't expect Ubico to either.

So inconsiderate, and I'm sure just a tiny minority.  All part of the wonder of Wilderness I assume.

Janet Burroughs
👍 9

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 21:24

I have just discovered a garden refuse size bag dumped beside my recycling bin. It is full of rubbish, with cardboard on top to cover the main contents - dumped between 6pm and 8pm by, I very much suspect, a Wilderness festival goer returning home, and doing this somewhat the lighter!! 

Tomorrow is recycling collection for Woodstock Road. So there's no way that it is going to be collected by Ubico. It is quite heavy and I really don't see why we should deal with it. In fact, health and safety wise, we do not want to deal with it. and I'm not sure we evenhave space in our bin for it, especially as there is another week to go before refuse collection. 

It is clear that many enjoyed the festival. Good luck to them. Others found some of the impact challenging for various reasons. So there's a balance to be struck. But it is a great shame that a thoughtless minority have added to the negative impact, spoiling it for the majority.  

Emma, of Wilderness, any chance one of your team could collect and deal, or is that wishful thinking? 

John Werner
👍 7

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 21:11

It sounds to me like people of Charlbury did choose love🤘😁🤘

Freddie Johnson
👍 14

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 19:37

Thank you to Emma and The Wilderness team, as well as all the brilliant Charlbury residents who got involved, for an incredible weekend.

Seeing family, friends and total strangers, aged 8 to 80, dancing under the stars, streaking naked across the cricket field and partying and celebrating for 3 days, even through the rain, was the most wonderful feeling and what so many of us have been crying out for over the last 18 months. How special and lucky Charlbury is to have this on its doorstep once a year and long may it continue!

Alex Flynn
👍 2

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 18:51

“Adult workers” in Middle England Charlbury, Phil? 

Christine Battersby
👍 11

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 18:46 (last edited on Mon 9 Aug 2021, 18:54)

There's a lot of negative feedback on facebook from campers at Wilderness who used the general and family (not boutique or glamping) camping sites. Also about the predominance of electronic/DJ acts. Most of the negative feedback relates to the toilets and showering facilities which sound truly appalling (and very different…

Long post - click to read full text

Hans Eriksson
👍 6

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 17:58

If I was in charge of licensing for the event I would have made sure a) there was a contribution to the local community similar to the S106 housing developers have to pay. How much? Why not 5% of EBITDA profit?, b) there was an agreement that the festival could not exceed a certain dB(A) noise level in central Charlbury say at the entrance to the Bull Inn. Or several places. There should be noise level monitoring at said spots paid for by the organisers, and immediate power cut if noise levels were exceeded, c) 4am shut time is way too late. I will say that noise did not bother me much as we are North of Charlbury. 

Phil Morgan
👍 10

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 17:35

I would like to support the suggestion made by Wendy Bailey earlier. The Wilderness fireworks on the Sunday night are somewhat anti-social for the residents of the town. Lots of young children woken, lots of adult workers disturbed and lots of pets terrified. 

I'm not sure how many thousands of pounds went up in the thunderous finale but they could have been put to better use locally.

I know that the organisers want to mark the end of the festival with a dramatic display but I suggest that this could be done in another way - perhaps a more spectacular laser light show like they do in Paris (beautiful and silent). I'm sure the crowd and the townspeople would applaud that.

Finally; promoted as a green event, surely this would assist the festival's credentials. If the cost of the fireworks were then to be donated to the Town Council to fund a local green project, surely this would be a win/win! 

Lee-Ann Keeble
👍 4

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 15:50 (last edited on Mon 9 Aug 2021, 16:29)

Apart from the extortionate booking fee of £11.50 for tickets, my gripe about Wilderness was the confusion over how local residents gained access to the festival. On Friday we attempted to enter via, what I would call the main entrance near the main stage. We were stopped and told it was for ‘Glampers’ only and directed to another entrance 10min walk further on. I have since heard of other residents being sent round to the general camping entrance - a good 30 minutes walk away. On Saturday we heard via our neighbours that we could now come and go via the main entrance , but on attempting to leave at the end of the evening, we were stopped again and told the exit was for Glampers only. After a lively discussion with the Stasi (joke!), explaining that we just wanted to leave to go home- a second security guard directed us to another exit tunnel to the side which took us on a parallel path out.  There were no signs anywhere; it was very infuriating and I fail to understand why this rule exists. Furthermore, there are more security guards at the actual glamping gateway, so even if we had managed to get through the first exit funnel, we could not have infiltrated the glamping campsite even if we have wanted to.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 4

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 15:30

Thank you, Emma Wychwayz Morris had a great time at our first dance out for a year and a half, despite the rain. It's always good to be able to dance at different types of events/audiences, so we appreciate being able to dance.

David Cook
👍 12

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 12:45

A big thankyou to Emma and the Wilderness team, a fabulous event considering you had such a short window to get the festival up and running. Already looking forward to next year. Well done David

Rachael Lunney
👍 2

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 10:45

Just to say the Nineacress junction with thames Street is causing big problems. 

John Kearsey
👍 4

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 10:37

The fireworks were a bit disappointing. I could hear them from my house but not see them. This combined with the lasers gave the whole thing a London blitz 1940 vibe!

Wendy Bailey
👍 4

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 09:24

Perhaps as a thought for moving forward the organizers might like to donate the cost of the fireworks and not have them. ?

Gareth Epps
👍 10

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 07:19

I couldn’t agree more with Richard.  Emma’s engagement here has been helpful, and under the circumstances of arranging any festival of this scale within less than four weeks of knowledge whether it would be permitted, especially so.  From comments elsewhere, the area affected by noise has been quite different and included Stonesfield.

Some constructive and some less constructive suggestions have been made.  There is certainly a discussion to be had about the proposed bursary/support scheme, for example, with some good practice from elsewhere.  Speaking personally and having attended for the first time in several years, I have some thoughts of my own.  On what went well, the family area was particularly good, with activities in all weathers and plenty of fun being had.

For many of those working on site, this has been their first event after over a year of subsisting without the furlough and other protection many others have taken for granted.

Traffic management is going to be the order of today, and parts of the site are still affected by mud after Saturday.  There is dialogue taking place, and constructive suggestions are welcome.

Alex Flynn
👍 8

Mon 9 Aug 2021, 02:54

Whilst we’re at it, I thought it was a forum rule that people had to give their full names too…still not everybody is doing that…

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 19

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 22:02

Ok, folks, can we quieten this thread down a little too.

For the past five years people have been asking Wilderness to make less noise on the Sunday night, i.e. the night before most people are going to work. It seems a bit harsh to criticise them for doing exactly that.

If you have an issue specifically about this year’s event that needs addressing, and can be phrased constructively, then do post it in this thread. If you’d like to make a wider point about Wilderness, not specific to this weekend (e.g. charity donations), or you’d just like to vent, then please take it to the Debate board.

There are certainly people who don’t appreciate the noise, and equally there are people (many of them from Charlbury) who love the festival. Let’s try and keep other people’s views in mind too.

Thank you.

(As a footnote, personally I don’t really want to get into the is-it/isn’t-it noise debate, but I will say that Emma’s contributions here are appreciated. There is absolutely no obligation on Wilderness to engage with the local community in this way and I think it’s very much to Emma’s credit that she chooses to.)

Amanda
👍 2

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 21:54

Remarkably quieter tonight, considering it's the last night! Weird that?? Mmmm maybe that's because the official OCC sound monitors are there tonight???? Just saying .....

Michael Grant
👍 3

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 20:48

HHi Charlie, I completely agree with you,  I thought I might have been misreading it,  it makes it sound the the person buying the ticket is making the donations. , rather than the £2 donation coming out of ticket price its an additional cost.

I'm with you,  I would like to know as well how much they might donate back to the community. 

Charlie M
👍 4

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 20:40

Michael, I had not seen that link before, and that seems to suggest that people should make a donation when they buy their tickets. 

But that is not really what I had in mind; I was thinking more along the lines of the Wilderness Festival donating some of their profits to the town as a whole. 

Michael Grant
👍 1

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 20:09

Carole I'm sorry to hear about your cats, just to let you know apparently there will be fireworks as well tonight,  not sure how well they react to those.

Carole Partlett
👍

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 20:06 (last edited on Sun 8 Aug 2021, 20:12)

Not just the noise that is a problem. The lasers last night have terrified my cats and even today they won't come out of hiding! They were reflecting in the windows so we were still  bothered by them indoors.

Michael Grant
👍 1

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 20:02

That's a good question,  I'd like to know the answer as well.

I did find this on the website ,  I'm not sure if its of any help. 

https://www.wildernessfestival.com/programme/thomas-gifford-trust/?pillar_slug=

Charlie M
👍 7

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 19:14

Does anyone know whether whether the organisers of Wilderness actually contribute any of their profits to the Town of Charlbury? I have never been aware of any such sum.

I would suggest that £20-30,000 minimum would be a reasonable annual sum; such monies would be of great assistance in maintaining the Memorial Hall, Corner House, and other such assets of the town.

john h
👍 7

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 13:39

Hopefully our District and Town Councillors will take a serious look at the increased complaints of noise pollution from Wilderness, not holding my breath!!. J Harrison

Hannen Beith
👍 3

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 12:59

The Forum Rules are very clear (and I confess that I have been, on occasion, a miscreant).

"The forum is not the way to contact the site admins. Use the contact page instead."

catherine searby
👍 4

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 12:50

I have lived in Charlbury for seven years and this is the first time I have been disturbed by the noise from Wilderness. It was very loud indeed last night and kept me awake.

I think i will complain to WODC. 04:00 is just too late. 

Leah Fowler
👍 8

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 11:57

Why hasn't this post been transferred to Debate? 

Michael Grant
👍 6

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 10:53

The best thing we can do,  is to complain to both the council and the event organisers,  unfortunately if we only complain to wilderness the council will never know 

Steve Darnell
👍 11

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 10:49

I’m not sure on what basis Tim concludes that only ‘a small group’ of people object to the infernal din from Wilderness. Most people I have spoken to are sick to death with the noise, but most probably don’t use the forum, or even know it exists. Unless the organisers start to acknowledge the concerns of local residents I feel that the tide of opinion will start to turn against Wilderness as an event per se. Perhaps we could move it to a real wilderness in the future. How about St. Kilda next year?

martin
👍 18

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 09:06

Just think this time next week we will be back to moaning about no soda bread or English asparagus in the co-op…..

Michael Grant
👍

Sun 8 Aug 2021, 08:33

IIf 4 am is what time the licence has been granted to that's broadly similar to what Glastonbury is, and actually goes on longer than Reading festival - theres is only 3 am 

Amanda
👍 8

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 23:03

And Actually we are not talking about just ONE night but FOUR!

Amanda
👍 14

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 23:01

I am NOT saying that everyone should not be enjoying themselves what I'm asking for is a reasonable volume after midnight. That is not unreasonable. It is not fair that some people are struggling with the noise and that their weekend is being ruined. Sleep deprivation is not good for anyone's wellbeing or Mental Health and WE have ALL had a difficult time through this pandemic!  

Tim Gosling
👍 15

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 22:54

Although I sympathise with those whose lives are being disrupted it is rather telling that the most liked post on this topic belongs to Lisa who stated

If anyone needs earplugs I have some you can have. So lovely to see such excitement among the young who have born the brunt of this pandemic to protect us older ones. HAVE A FANTASTIC TIME ALL OF YOU.

Which i totally agree with but i appreciate a small group will not. For those who do not, it is Sunday tomorrow. The end is in sight. 

Alan Wilson
👍 4

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 22:45

I thought it was a pretty extraordinary decision to grant the application to extend the license beyond the original one, which I think was 2.00am on Fri & Sat night, and midnight on Sunday night.  I certainly wrote to the council objecting, arguing that the original hours already gave plenty of scope for people to enjoy the festival, while 4.00am (actually I'm not sure it isn't 5.00am!) was completely unreasonable for locals trying to get some sleep, especially when they had to get to work the next day.  But either not enough of the rest of you objected, or councilors just followed the normal policy of letting the money do the talking.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 37

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 22:35

If people made as much fuss about the climate changing irreversibly, wild fires in Greece and all around the world, children being bombed out of their homes and starving, just for starters, as they do about about a bit of noise, there just might be some hope.

Amanda
👍

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 22:32 (last edited on Sat 7 Aug 2021, 22:33)

The 4am "thing" came from Wilderness at 2am this morning when I  rang them to ask if they could please turn the volume down and then at 9am and 11am when they gave me a courtesy call to assure me that they were within the correct volume levels and to tell me that they are licensed to play music until 4am! Big feastival and Cornbury both end at midnight! 

Harriet Baldwin
👍 3

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 22:24

I've heard Alex James Feastival from nine acres close more than once, never saw anyone in charlbury complaining about that. Just saying. Maybe they did in Kingham, Chad and Spelsbury though. 

Alan Cobb
👍 4

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 22:08

Why would anyone want to buy a ticket - you can hear it perfectly well outside.  It has even woken my poor old cat up.

Michael Grant
👍 3

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 22:06

UUnfortunately there not much we can do,  they got a license to extend there music playing until 2 man a couple of years ago and was given automatically for 5 years.  So we have another 2 years after this at least before theyll consider doing anything.

I have tried to have a look at the licence on the west icon website to confirm the details,  but they have either removed it or blocked it for public viewing. 

You can hear it in enstone and east end.  I do wonder why people pay for tickets when its so loud.

Not sure where the 4 am thing has come from as I have email from 2019 saying its 2 am finish time and I have had Liz confirm that its the same licence.

To be fair I think the noise should stop when at the default before they get an extension which is 11pm

Too early to get our local MP involved?  

Rachel Cooper
👍 5

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 21:57 (last edited on Sat 7 Aug 2021, 22:13)

Okay I’m glad peeps are having fun after a massively crap year but I’m in stoney and the thumping is louder than the tv tonight. Travelling right across the valley. It’s funny the later it gets the louder the bass. Some heavy discounted tickets may be a deal breaker for some outside village residents 👍🏻 Update 22.07 and it seems to have suddenly increased by 5x volume. Like a car in my drive way with volume on high. I Sound like a right misery but second hand base is not enjoyable

Amanda
👍 2

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 21:55

Occ EH are NOT onsite until tomorrow night. Wilderness apparently have their own team doing sound level checks which is bullshit as it's basically a guy in a high vis jacket that sits on his hire van chain smoking for half an hour outside your house! You can ring the Wilderness number and they will just fob you of with how they have a license to play music until 4am! 

NADINE MILLS
👍 1

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 21:50

My sister just contacted me saying she could hear Wilderness in Church Hanborough and for us it must sound like they’re in your back garden. Indeed! I simply don’t believe that the council are on site measuring noise levels. I think like the Cornbury Fest all music should stop at midnight. I think that would be a realistic cut off. 

Helen Wilkinson
👍 1

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 21:50

It’s flipping loud now - 21:50 Saturday

Hans Eriksson
👍 1

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 21:28

I just tried that number 0208 396 7758 and some young lady picked up the phone. "Hello Wilderness" she said. Might be useful. 

Michael Grant
👍 1

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 20:39

Best I can find is this,  might be able to get through the switchboard to someone?  

https://www.westoxon.gov.uk/contact-us/

This number is apparently available 24 hours a day,  run by wilderness.  0208 396 7758

If environmental Health are on site over the weekend maybe you can be put in touch that way. 

Janet Burroughs
👍

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 20:23

Does anyone have the EHO helpline number, referred to by Liz,  for Wilderness "noise"? I can't seem to track this down. 

Leah Fowler
👍 12

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 12:16

Just take your Hearing Aids out! !!

Heather Williams
👍 3

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 11:42

We British love to moan........

Amanda
👍 2

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 11:41

Its ok everyone as Wilderness are doing regular checks throughout the night for the sound levels and OCC will do one on Sunday night.......... We can all sleep soundly tonight and Sunday ,🤣🤣🥱

john h
👍 6

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 10:56 (last edited on Sat 7 Aug 2021, 10:57)

Its started already, sounds like an artillery battle, got this 'til 2am tommorrow. I think weather conditions or not the volume must be a health hazard if you are on site ,I think the organisers say to hell with the locals,we need to make money. J H

Graham Wisker
👍 3

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 10:43

Really enjoyed the music in our garden, went to bed around 11pm, didn't hear a thing.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 4

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 09:39

I think atmospheric physics is that the sound can be at the appropriate decibel level for OCC, but the wind speed and direction make it travel further and seem louder

Amanda
👍 2

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 08:29

Wind or no wind Harriet. It was still unacceptably loud! I think it only fair that Wilderness stop lying about the measurement of decibels and just turn the music level down after Midnight! If I had wanted to party All Night for Four nights I would have bought a ticket! 

Harriet Baldwin
👍 2

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 07:57

I already pointed out to you all yesterday morning that this was going to happen because of the wind direction. And in fact it was obvious several days beforehand on weather apps indicating wind direction/speed. 

Janet Burroughs
👍 8

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 07:22

I have to agree with Amanda and Adrian. The level of noise last night seemd considerably higher than we have expereinced previously. We are probably one of the furthest houses from the site so we wonder what it is like in Charlbury itself. It could also be clearly heard at Kingswood last night.

Yes, we understand that people want to enjoy themselves, especially after the past 18 months. But others in our community simply want to get on with their lives - getting young children to sleep or having good nights sleep before a day at work. So the simple question is "Why does the music have to be so loud?"

Amanda
👍 4

Sat 7 Aug 2021, 02:03

Wow incredible that at 2am I being told by Wilderness that they are legally allowed to continue to play their music until 4am every day of the festival. Incredible really. I'm all up for people enjoying themselves, but not when I have the unenjoyable experience of being kept awake by the loud thudding! 

Adrian Hunter
👍 5

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 23:16

Liz, I tried to find the WODC helpline number but could only find an online form which asks you to keep a diary of disturbance over three weeks, and says they cannot (or will not) do anything about 'one-off' events; does Wilderness count? Even if I could find the helpline, the times of disturbance are of course out of hours.

The noise is simply too loud, and there is no reason why lower levels should hamper anyone's enjoyment of the festival - in fact it would make it far more acceptable.

Amanda
👍 4

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 22:39

Sorry but that is ridiculously loud tonight and All windows and doors firmly shut!

Michael Grant
👍 1

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 18:31

Cant remember if it was radio 1 or 2 earlier tonight,  but the traffic issues made national news! 

Carl A Perkins
👍 1

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 18:14

The noise doesn’t bother me but what does is the traffic. Gridlock on Thames Street/ Dyers Hill/ Market Street again last night! Why? Because somehow a coach from the station had come up the hill and took almost 10 minutes to negotiate the left turn onto Thames Street at the top of Dyers Hill. What happened to the weight limit on the bridge and why did this coach come this way? Did he think he might try a crafty shortcut!?

Mandy cooper
👍 2

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 16:11

Please do not bring covid test in to the post office we can not except them they go in the priority box on ticknell piece road. Thankyou 

Michael Grant
👍 4

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 11:52

I dont have a problem with the idea of a festival, what i do have a problem with is how its run both prior and during the event itself.

If the music stopped at 11pm each night rather than 2 am each morning when it gets quieter, that would be much better for alot of people.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 1

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 11:36

I suspect the weather this year means the music will be louder in Charlbury. This happened before (but without the rain) and I think it was accepted as part of the siting. 

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 11:35 (last edited on Fri 6 Aug 2021, 11:36)

Totally agree with you, Lisa - it's great to know that people can have a bit of fun again. The old as well as the young!

stephen cavell
👍 3

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 10:55

I am missing out - up at Enstone X roads I am not benefitting from the enjoyment of hearing the music from the Wilderness that so many of you are. Could be our position, could be our double glazing OR could just be my limited hearing.  Any one got a spare ear trumpet?

Lisa Hadfield-Law
👍 26

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 10:33

If anyone needs earplugs I have some you can have.  So lovely to see such excitement among the young who have born the brunt of this pandemic to protect us older ones.  HAVE A FANTASTIC TIME ALL OF YOU.  

Liz Leffman
👍 6

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 08:18 (last edited on Fri 6 Aug 2021, 08:22)

As is the case every year, WODC's environmental health team has a helpline which you can ring if you are being disturbed by noise from the site.  They can monitor the sound from your house and will ask the management to reduce the noise levels if they are over the approved limit.  They are also on site measuring sound throughout the weekend (see Emma Kirby's earlier message ref sound checks)

Deborah Longshaw
👍 4

Fri 6 Aug 2021, 08:03

I must admit I could hear it quite easily from the top of Ticknell Piece. That said I was aware that last night the music stopped at 11pm. 

However, Michael, I do feel that certainly sound wise, we do have to put this all into context - it is only 4 nights  out of  the whole year & the financial boost it brings to the wider community is so needed just now (not sure about other things which may come with the insurgence of revellers, but only time will show us whether there has been any negative impact from that).  It sounds like you know the routine so I fail to understand why you have not, as others have suggested, availed yourself of some ‘noise cancelling’ headphones or just some basic ear plugs to help you through this period? 

Michael Grant
👍

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 22:34

Sorry to say Alex,  this will probably be the quietest it will be over the next few days,  its only going to get louder before the the nights out and each night it will get louder and louder. That's before all the fireworks Sunday night. 

Alex Flynn
👍 5

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 22:23 (last edited on Thu 5 Aug 2021, 22:30)

I can hear it now with the Windows shut! It is very loud for the time of night. People have to go to work tomorrow! 

Michael Grant
👍 4

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 22:19 (last edited on Thu 5 Aug 2021, 22:22)

Well ideal world,  it never happens again,  I can't see what benefit it has.

Other than that it would be nice for the following.

1) Music at a respectable level, limited to the actual date of the festival.

2)Questions I have sent to the company, via email, twitter, in stage am,  phone calls, messaging on this site to be answered before the event rather than after when its too late. 

3) music to stop at 11 pm not 2 am,  and I mean stop and not get quieter.

4) for the event to be responsible for the noise of its campers 

5) traffic management that actual works,  let's be honest year after year what they have tried hasn't worked.

6) stop any event traffic from being sent to the main gates, all those large heavy loads being sent though the small streets of the town can't help the road conditions,  especially considering how long it took to get some of the roads repaired.  

I could carry on,  but I think that covers the general idea , this was in response to Alex's last message before he edited asking me what i think should happen.

Regarding to your edited post,  I refer you to point 2 as to why I can't do that. 

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 22:10 (last edited on Thu 5 Aug 2021, 22:21)

I take your point. Must be very annoying if you live in the immediate vicinity.

Have you tried asking them for some kind of compensation for loss of sleep and general inconvenience, for example? Maybe they would pay to put you up in a hotel away from the noise? Just a thought.

Michael Grant
👍 6

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 21:56 (last edited on Thu 5 Aug 2021, 22:06)

I'm sorry Alex but its not 4 days a year,  its closer to 6 for the actual event- you have Wednesday for all there sound levels and checks and it goes into Monday. But then you have all the house and issues of week(s) prior and post event of all the lorries, the noise and congestion. What people think is 4 days turns into at least 2 weeks of the year. 

Also it should be 2 am when it if finishes,  but when has that ever happened?  Normally its 3,4 or even 5 am when it gets quieter,  it never actually stops.  

Just imagine all that,  but its your next door neighbour,  would you not be annoyed that it happens year after year?

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 21:32

As Helen said Alan

Helen Wilkinson
👍 2

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 21:20

I suggest noise cancelling headphones during the day and earplugs at night - that’s going to be my solution

Alan Cobb
👍 5

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 21:18

So what do you suggest, Alex, if like me you want to listen to the Proms and get the music ruined by throbbing noise from Wilderness?

Alex Flynn
👍 6

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 20:54

I suggest using earplugs if you don’t want to be kept awake until

2am…it’s only 4 days of the year! 

Michael Grant
👍 5

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 16:56 (last edited on Thu 5 Aug 2021, 17:16)

To think its only Thursday,  its only going to get worse .

Also for anyone that's interested,  they have music sets going on until 2am each morning , every morning including Sunday going into Monday 

J Murphy
👍

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 16:34

Even after the months of planning, the traffic jams approaching the site today beggar belief. Where were the marshalls?

Birgit den Outer
👍 2

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 15:59

Many thanks for all the information, Emma. Looking forward to it!

John Lanyon
👍 3

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 14:03

Emma, how many people are you expecting on-site? How many cars? What time does it start and finish?

Michael Grant
👍 5

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 12:22

So there checking the noise levels on the quietest night of the 4?, surely it makes sense to check them every night?

I couldn't find any information regarding times of the acts on your website, what time can we expect the music to get quieter? or are we in for noise for the next 4 days straight?

Emma Kirkby
👍

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 12:18

Hi everyone, 

Just to let you know there will be some sound checks on the evening of the 5th August as agreed with the Environmental Health Officer. This is so we can carry out a noise propagation test in relation to the noise conditions set out in the event license.

Pyrotechnics and lasers will also be used at Wilderness Festival 2021.

There will be fireworks used during a performance between the hours of 21:00hrs and 23:00hrs approx. on Sunday 8th August and lasers used at various performances across the weekend.

The Wilderness Team

Emma Kirkby
👍 2

Thu 5 Aug 2021, 07:25

Good morning everyone,

The day is finally here, Wilderness opens the doors for its tenth year. We cannot wait to welcome you. 

Before we can, I wanted to put all ticketing / entry information into one place for your reference and to hopefully answer any last queries you may have…

David Cook
👍

Wed 4 Aug 2021, 19:15

Hello Emma, I have received my tickets on my mobile however the Ticketmaster app will still not allow transfer of tickets to another Ticketmaster account holder.

Not your fault, but not sure what we get for the booking fees paid??

Chloe Horner
👍

Wed 4 Aug 2021, 13:21

Hi Emma

I am still awaiting e-tickets for my original rolled-over tickets. Please could someone get in touch?

l have left the details in a message to you on here and also contacted ticketmaster and wilderness HQ but no one has got back to me. 

We need to be on site tomorrow evening, so I would appreciate a response.

Chloe

Emma Kirkby
👍

Wed 4 Aug 2021, 13:16

Hi everyone 

Quick update, having thought that the issue with the Ticketmaster tickets was all resolved yesterday, I heard from a few of you today and understand that you still cannot see you barcode ticket. I'm so sorry as we really thought the issue was fixed yesterday, however I've spoken with the ticketing team again and they've managed to track down the problem and assured me they are working on fixing this right now. I'll let you know as soon as this is fixed. 

Best

Emma 

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Wed 4 Aug 2021, 12:16

Hi Emma 

We got the ticket codes for the rolled over ones from last year but we have not received the codes for the car parking tickets the email sent said these would follow in separate email but nothing as yet 

Stephen Slack
👍 2

Tue 3 Aug 2021, 18:03

I, too, have not had a reply to the message I sent before the last liaison meeting - in my case asking about traffic managent on Dyers Hill the morning after the festival ends.

Michael Grant
👍 3

Tue 3 Aug 2021, 17:14

Hi Emma

Any chance of replying to the message I sent,  or am I to be ignored like I am every year?  

Rod Evans
👍

Tue 3 Aug 2021, 15:28 (last edited on Tue 3 Aug 2021, 15:34)

My tickets were sent by email.  I've downloaded the app on my phone as it says 'your phone is your ticket' - but cannot find them on the app!  I can access the email via my phone but they are still shown as not transferable.  I tried the residents' no - helpful but not the right person - awaiting a call back from ticketmaster but not holding my breath.  Suggestion is to forward the email to others and each ticket should be readable from the order.  All this for a £45 booking fee....

Deapite Emma's latest my tickets are still shown as not transferable.

Emma Kirkby
👍

Tue 3 Aug 2021, 15:11

Good afternoon everyone

Hope you're all enjoying the lovely weather. 

Apologies for the difficulties some of you have been having with accessing your tickets. We've been working with our ticketing team to rectify this and you should now be able to see your mobile ticket for your Ticketmaster bookings. 

For anyone wishing to transfer tickets, this has been enabled and to help you through the process there are some handy guide documents on how to do this on Universe and Ticketmaster

Hopefully that irons out most of the hiccups and answers your questions

Best

Emma 

Kathy Broughton
👍

Tue 3 Aug 2021, 14:42

I just downloaded the app (a real pain) and my ticket is still not transferable.

John Davis
👍

Tue 3 Aug 2021, 14:37

Still coming up as not available for transfer for us! 

Freddie Johnson
👍

Tue 3 Aug 2021, 13:47

And bar codes for local camping - thank you Emma for sorting all of this!

Adrian Lancini
👍

Tue 3 Aug 2021, 12:31

Just FYI - Ticket transfer on Ticketmaster app now looks available folks!

Nick Hall
👍 1

Mon 2 Aug 2021, 20:11

Emma...we've paid an extortionate £45 in 'booking fees' for our 4 tickets.

There's no way we shouldn't have access to our tickets by now, barcodes exchanges etc, etc

Otherwise, we should all be refunded the booking fees. 

Nick Hall
👍

Mon 2 Aug 2021, 19:57

Emma

The same problem with me too.
Why can't anything just work the way it's supposed to?

We've paid for our tickets...we now need the barcodes to show up.

Freddie Johnson
👍

Mon 2 Aug 2021, 16:54

Hi Emma, We’re experiencing the same issues. None of our local camping ticket bar codes have been issued within the Ticketmaster account. It stills says “This is not your ticket.” I have messaged Ticketmaster who have advised we need to now collect tickets from the Box Office but is there no way to issue these bar codes through the Ticketmaster site?

Angelique Davidson
👍

Mon 2 Aug 2021, 14:23

Hi Emma I've sent emails but still no answer. I have recieved barcode for my 3 family camping but not for my general camping tickets . Could you please advise.

Kate Smith
👍

Mon 2 Aug 2021, 13:55

Which is not much help!
Kate Smith
👍

Mon 2 Aug 2021, 13:54

I tried contacting Ticketmaster for a response on the same question of transfer, and this is their reply:

We’ll provide the option to transfer eTickets whenever we can, but it isn’t available for every event at the moment – it can vary depending on the event.

If you don’t see the option in your account, this means that the transfer facility isn’t currently available. It may be made available nearer the time, but unfortunately this isn’t something we can guarantee or confirm in advance – we can only advise to keep checking back to your account.

If transfer isn’t available, this means that your entire group will need to arrive together for the event and the tickets can only be accessed from your account

Tracy Smart
👍

Mon 2 Aug 2021, 12:43

Hi,

I have just called the number on here and whilst I originally got through, I was cut off and now the number is "an incorrect number" and I can't get through?

Has anyone else had problems getting all their tickets on ticket master? I have a bar code for my 2 non camping but not for my 2 camping tickets?

Tracy

Tracy Smart
👍

Mon 2 Aug 2021, 12:36

Hello Emma,

I hope you can help. We have ordered 2 types of tickets (camping and non camping) We have recevied a bar code for the non camping tickets on ticketmaser, but not for the camping tickets. I have treid to contact ticketmaster a few times now and they haven't yet responded. Please can you help me?

Thanks

Tracy

Adrian Lancini
👍 1

Mon 2 Aug 2021, 11:38

Ticket still not transferable on the Ticketmaster app! Emma - will this please be resolved before Thursday?

sharon harris
👍

Sat 31 Jul 2021, 09:25

Not me John 

John Davis
👍

Sat 31 Jul 2021, 08:46

Has anyone managed to complete the transfer successfully? Our e-tickets state quite clearly that they are non-transferable. Tx. 

Helen Wilkinson
👍 1

Fri 30 Jul 2021, 11:37

I spoke to Emma Kirby and she was very helpful.  

I understand that both parties to the transfer have to have the appropriate app - Ticketmaster for this year and Universe for 2020 tickets.  I don't know how it works - but I am assured it is possible and any unresolved transfers can be resolved in person at the festival.

sharon harris
👍

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 22:41

I have brought the ticket for my son, how can I transfer the e- ticket to his phone. Anyone done it? Anyone help?

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 16:11 (last edited on Thu 29 Jul 2021, 16:14)

Hi Emma 

A question regarding the "Wilderness app" that we have downloaded, bearing in mind the position of Wilderness will we be able to use the app while we are at the festival ?

As knowing from previous visits over the years it's almost impossible to get a phone signal anywhere onsite at Wilderness. 

Unless you hang off the top of the main Wilderness stage at it's highest point that is :-)

Is the app reliant on a phone signal as it's pointless making lots of entries on the app otherwise.

John Davis
👍

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 16:01

Hi Emma, I have the app and I have my e-tickets but, it states that they are non-transferable. A bit awkward for folks arriving a different times to collect wristbands. 

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 14:13

1 adult non-camping ticket available

Emma Kirkby
👍

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 13:59

Hello everyone

Hope you're all enjoying the intermittent sunshine. Just wanted to explain the transfer process for tickets in a little more detail for those of you needing / looking to swap ticking over to someone else. 

Depending on whether your e-tickets have come to you via Ticketmaster (those who booked for 2021) or Universe (those who rolled from 2020) - on the Ticketmaster / Universe app, you will have the option to transfer tickets to another person. The person you are transferring the ticket to must also have the Ticketmaster / Universe app. Once the sender transfers the tickets the recipient must accept.

If any changes are needed to a ticket that has been transferred please head to the box office at the festival where our customer service team will be based.

As a reminder all e-tickets will be sent out either today / this weekend so please do not panic if you haven't already got one! 

The Wilderness Team 

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 13:49 (last edited on Thu 29 Jul 2021, 13:50)

If they are non-transferable - then to my mind the logical conclusion is that anyone who wanted a ticket would have had to queue in person, for a ticket to be allocated in their name, when it was actually possible to apply for up to 4.

John Davis
👍

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 10:35

We have received our etickets but, they say they are non transferable. 

Rod Evans
👍 2

Wed 28 Jul 2021, 12:13

Like I expect many others, I bought 4 tickets.  What we'd all like to know is - are we all expected to show up at the same time to collect wristbands or can I collect them all and distribute to the other 3?  Or will I be able to send on the e-tickets individually once they are issued?  Not all of us can arrive at the same time....

Michael Grant
👍 1

Wed 28 Jul 2021, 11:00

Emma, would it be possible to get a response to the questions i sent you?

Laura Morris
👍

Wed 28 Jul 2021, 09:26

Hi there,

If anyone is able to sell on local tickets I am very interested. I’m OX7.

Thanks in advance.

Laura

Adrian Lancini
👍

Wed 28 Jul 2021, 09:16

Hi Emma

Contrary to what you said in the post, I have a local mobile e-ticket I now wish to transfer into another name but in my Ticketmaster account it says this is not transferable?

Would appreciate any help with this.

Adrian

Emma Kirkby
👍

Tue 27 Jul 2021, 15:59

Hi all

To confirm, e-tickets will be emailed out by the end of this week, you will not have received these yet.

The Wilderness Team

Will Ord
👍 1

Tue 27 Jul 2021, 13:23

Hello,

I have not received the bar codes for my 4 tickets on the Ticketmaster App as yet.  When will they come, and will they be transferrable by email when they do?

Any help much appreciated.

Will

Emma Kirkby
👍

Tue 27 Jul 2021, 12:01 (last edited on Tue 27 Jul 2021, 12:02)

Good morning everyone, 

Pre-warning: lengthy post ahead, settle in with a cuppa, for a helpful and informative update, that will hopefully cover all questions you may have.

TICKETS

For those who registered for Wilderness 2021 Tickets

• If you have completed the booking process, you will be emailed an e-ticket which…

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.