Lagan Homes brochure. land north of Jeffersons Piece

Rod Evans
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2017, 11:02

As many will know, the site was put forward by the WODC Policy team for inclusion in the new Local Plan as housing land.

At the recent Local Plan examination WODC accepted the Inspector's view (well they would, wouldn't they!) that further work was needed including a full Landscape Impact Assessment to assist in considering the site's suitability as well as looking (I hope properly) at the need for housing in the AONB - see here www.westoxon.gov.ruk/media/1643333/WOLP63-Letter-to-Inspector-3-August-2017.pdf.

As mentioned in my other post (Planning Matters) the Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group has recently commissioned a local Housing Needs Assessment for Charlbury, the results of which we expect to have next month.

I haven't personally reached any conclusions about the site itself, but at the very least there is a strong case for saying this application is premature pending the outcome of both those exercises.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2017, 10:27

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't believe any town councillors have already stated that they approve of this particular application which has just been published. They may support the general principle that a development on this site could be suitable (as per the draft WODC Local Plan) but that doesn't necessarily imply supporting these specific plans. Personally I do believe that a development could be made to work on this site, but I have very grave misgivings about the transport implications of this particular proposal, similar to the concerns expressed by Christine and James.

glena chadwick
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2017, 10:23

The main problem it seems to me with affordable homes is that they don't stay affordable---especially in this area of extremely high property prices. When I enquired at one of the Rushy Bank presentations if the affordable houses would be kept affordable I was told yes, they would not be able to sold at market for five years. But five years is nothing---if planning permission for any development is obtained on the (very necessary) grounds that it contains affordable housing then they should not be resold in the blink of an eye at definitely unaffordable prices.

Peter Kenrick
👍

Fri 11 Aug 2017, 16:05

As Liz says, the town council will consider this planning application (17/02376/FUL) on Monday 21st August and all are welcome to attend as observers. As always, comments on planning applications should be sent to WODC but if you want the town council, as a consultee, to take note of your comments please also send a copy to the town clerk at charlburytc@btinternet.com well ahead of the meeting on the 21st

James Styring
👍

Fri 11 Aug 2017, 16:05

Hi Liz, I'll be way but I'm sure a neighbour will be there to observe.

Liz Reason
👍

Fri 11 Aug 2017, 15:48

Two town councillors may have told you that they support the application but the town council will not have its collective discussion until its meeting on 21st August so clearly they were giving their personal views. I hope you will be at the meeting to observe the discussion.

James Styring
👍

Fri 11 Aug 2017, 13:35

It's really weird that the developers would choose August to submit their planning application, surely they would want to do this when schools are back so as to maximise the enthusiastic comments from all the local people who stand to benefit from the provision of so many "affordable" homes.

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 11 Aug 2017, 13:25

I gave the planning link for this application yesterday in a new thread - Jefferson's Piece 48 houses. I did so because there isn't much time, and many people are away in August.

Amanda Epps
👍

Fri 11 Aug 2017, 13:02

The Lagan Homes proposal is now a Planning Application. Those who sent comments to West Waddy should know that these have not been included in the documents sent to WODC by the applicants. If you wish to comment, you need to do so ASAP and before 7 September. Cunning plan to send them in during August!

James Styring
👍

Mon 17 Jul 2017, 20:21 (last edited on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 20:22)

Liz: two town councillors told me they thought that building on the field by Jefferson's Piece was a good way of satisfying the (Westminster-invented) idea that WODC needs to build to satisfy local housing demand. In fact what needs to happen is Oxford (and other places where employment creates housing demand) needs to have a lot of high-rise apartments.
I objected to one of the councillors that the hundreds of daily vehicle movements through the Green will alter forever those quiet, child-friendly streets - not to mention the construction traffic that will be hellish for two years. I am not going to name and shame them, but by going along with WODC's draft plans the TC is doing a massive disservice to people on the route to the proposed estate.

Helen Chapman
👍

Fri 14 Jul 2017, 17:01

Just realised that today is the last chance to comment on this, if you haven't yet done so.

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 12 Jul 2017, 08:29 (last edited on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 08:30)

Liz, My impression of the Town Council's views about this site are very similar to those of James.

Indeed, the Town Council's listed comments on the inclusion of this site in the 2031 Plan reinforces this view. The Town Council's response reads as extremely weak, simply pointing out a problem with the map. See MM375: www.westoxon.gov.uk/media/1572592/CD8-Composite-Schedule-of-Representations.pdf

In addition, I asked a question about access to the site at the last AGM of the Town Council. Nothing in the answer given made me think that James' impression is unfounded.

If there is some other evidence that people have missed, perhaps you could point it out.

Liz Reason
👍

Tue 11 Jul 2017, 20:51

I don't know where James got the idea that the TC is in favour of this development. We do know that it is listed in WODC's favoured sites. Given that the TC doesn't actually have any power other than to comment on proposals, I fear our influence is limited. On the other hand, we have agreed policies that we wish every developer to have to adopt if they are to operate here. Frankly, the leaflet that has been distributed around town illustrates a completely standard type of development that we would not welcome. People need to make their voices heard on this.

Ann Harper
👍

Sat 8 Jul 2017, 18:41

The Guardian on Monday (3rd) published an article on CPRE research which shows how the Green Belt lost to building has been increasing at an ever faster rate. CPRE also claims that the houses being built will not, in fact, solve the housing crisis as the trend is for the new houses to be low density, executive homes.

You can read the whole article on line - the Guardian doesn't charge!

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 6 Jul 2017, 15:25

We didn't even get a brochure!

James Styring
👍

Wed 5 Jul 2017, 11:44

My understanding is that the town council is in favour of development in the field, or at least can see no problem with it. (Correct me if I am wrong.) This is surprising, because for residents of the proposed access to the field (via The Green) the construction traffic will be hellish for two years and after it's finished, the hundreds of daily vehicle movements through the estate will alter forever these quiet, child-friendly streets. The proposed Lagan estate seems to me an unpleasant and permanent disbenefit to people in The Green whose homes are en route to the site.
It would be worth considering development here if
a) access were genuinely acceptable;
b) Lagan were promising a new primary school; and
c) the homes were to be genuinely affordable.
However, acceptable access does not seem possible, I can't imagine the developers building a school, and sadly the legal definition of 'affordable home' does not mean that local people who'd like to buy there will actually be able to afford to do so.
The site seems ideal for a car-free development (no longer feasible thanks to the public transport cuts - cuts that David Cameron has just announced we should be grateful for) of self-build plots where local people who want to own their own home can gradually build one. Pipe dreams.

Tony H Merry
👍

Tue 4 Jul 2017, 21:22

I would like to add a comment as a member of the Charlbury Neighbourhood Plan Team

Note this is my personal opinion and does not necessarily that of the committee as a whole

At the moment we are examining possible development plans put forward by landowners or developers. So far Lagan Homes have chosen not to engage with us. I think that they should do this if they really care about local opinion as this will be taken into account in our considerations. We will put this to them again but if you are concerned then I suggest that you also suggest that they should submit plans to the Neighbourhood Plan even though the site has been put forward in the WODC local Plan

Lucy Robertson
👍

Tue 4 Jul 2017, 13:41 (last edited on Wed 5 Jul 2017, 08:56)

We live adjacent to the field. Lagan Homes have been surveying the site in the past few months. They initially informed us they were proposing to build 40 homes, now it seems 50 or even 60! They have control of the field over the next five years, I assume to try and build as many houses as possible. The main issues with this site other than it being in a Conservation Area and AONB seem to be access and infrastructure, especially schooling.

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 4 Jul 2017, 12:45 (last edited on Tue 4 Jul 2017, 12:47)

Charlie, As the consultation is going on so that WODC can strengthen its case to the Inspector of the West Oxfordshire 2031 Plan -- a procedure so well explained by Rod Evans -- Lagan would not be able to move the reply framework forward.

The hearing about Charlbury matters is…

Long post - click to read full text

Charlie M
👍

Tue 4 Jul 2017, 10:44

Regarding my earlier point about the short time period given for reply to the brochure, considering the time of year (i.e. "holiday time"), is anyone aware of whether a) Lagan have been contacted about this, and b) whether they've had second thoughts and extended the time period?

Rod Evans
👍

Tue 4 Jul 2017, 10:08

Edward - the 'proportion' figures I've quoted are from the Local Plan - i.e. what WODC would normally be looking for. They are not the developers' - see their leaflet and/or website for theirs.

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 4 Jul 2017, 06:36 (last edited on Tue 4 Jul 2017, 07:22)

Claire that's because It's a sore point to Charlbury lovers so I emailed them suggesting they might like to look at our FB page 'Charlbury is a Town and not a Village' .
They did return an email saying they would put something on their web page I shall have to look.

Claire Wilding
👍

Mon 3 Jul 2017, 22:19

Well they're obviously reading the forum, as their website now acknowledges that Charlbury is not a village!

Edward Fenton
👍

Mon 3 Jul 2017, 20:27 (last edited on Mon 3 Jul 2017, 22:56)

This is a very interesting discussion - thanks to everyone who has added to it. Like Bob, I too was puzzled about the way that the figures add up to 200%!

It seems to me that the leaflet that has been distributed to residents gives only partial information. Several people have asked about how much affordable housing there will be, and various people have come up with some very reasonable answers. But on the web page

www.westwaddy-adp.co.uk/charlbury/

there is an unequivocal statement that the development 'would comprise 50% affordable housing', which makes me wonder why this was not included in the printed leaflet. If this is a solid commitment, why not put it in print? I hope this is not because it would be easier to backtrack on something stated on a web page (which could then be changed) than something enshrined in print.

The developers also talk about 'around 40-50 houses', but it's clear that they are already set on the upper figure, because otherwise their stated 24%/48%/28% figures don't tally. They only tally with multiples of 25.

Rod Evans
👍

Mon 3 Jul 2017, 18:33 (last edited on Tue 4 Jul 2017, 10:06)

Just on the housing figures (I'll pass on Charlie M's post!), the new Local Plan identifies different proportions of affordable housing to be provided in different 'zones', based on values. For a scheme of this size in Charlbury, 40% of the total should be affordable - so 20 if its a total of 50 - and the developers say they will provide them in accordance with WODC policy.

As a general guide, the plan also seeks an overall mix of 65% one and two bedroom homes and 35% in 3 or 4 bed homes in the affordable category. For market housing, it seeks approx 28% in 2 bed homes, 43% in 3 bed and 24% in 4 bed properties. These figures are for general guidance not fixed - you can still of course express a view about the adequacy or otherwise of what is actually proposed, I'm merely being a messenger here!

Charlie M
👍

Mon 3 Jul 2017, 13:31

Another thing too ...
Is it not grossly cynical of Lagan to allow such a short period in which to raise comments, knowing - as they must do, unless they are from another planet - that this is the time of year when many families are away on holiday, and thus have no access to mail?
I also have this vision of the Lagan people all sitting round a table and going through the replies that we all send in, and saying to each other things like "Objection number 24 is about the same as number 251, and we can shoot them both down in flames if we say this ..."!
I have prepared a draft reply to their "glossy brochure", and one of the points I make is that they should modify their proposal so that ONLY the affordable housing part of it remains; frankly, as far as I am concerned, my views about them are the same as Spencer Churchill's Grammar School Hill mob ... why can't the both of them damn well sling their respective hooks?

Pearl Manners
👍

Mon 3 Jul 2017, 13:20

I did notice in a few places they had referred to Charlbury as a village, sore point. Charlbury is a Town and not a village as we all know, however they will correct it.

Janet Sly
👍

Sun 2 Jul 2017, 18:39

Agreed.How much affordable housing would there actually be?

Bob Douglas
👍

Sun 2 Jul 2017, 11:20

The housing figures given in the brochure add up to 200%:
market homes: 2 bed 24%, 3 bed 48%, 4 bed 28%
affordable: 2 bed 50%, 3 bed 50%
It would have been more useful (and perhaps honest) had it given the percentages of each type as a proportion of the total number of houses (or perhaps the actual numbers of houses in each category). Does anyone know what these figures are?

Rod Evans
👍

Sat 1 Jul 2017, 17:46 (last edited on Sun 2 Jul 2017, 10:12)

Perhaps I can put a bit of context to this. WODC's latest version of the Local Plan (for 2011-2031) sets an 'indicative requirement' of 1000 dwellings to be provided in the 'Burford / Charlbury sub-area' over that period. They have identified this and 3 other sites in the AONB which…

Long post - click to read full text

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 1 Jul 2017, 16:32

Charlie, That's a good question! As no planning application has ever been submitted for developing this land, it's hard to find out the owner(s). Cottsway owns the four garages that are mentioned as the target place for the link road to be. But apart from this, I'm unsure. Others might know.

Charlie M
👍

Sat 1 Jul 2017, 14:23

Who owns the land on which this development is intended to be built?

Lesley Algar
👍

Sat 1 Jul 2017, 13:46

I think it is a good idea that as many of us reply as possible. As a resident of Hundley Way/The Green, the construction that will take place and the increased numbers of residents to the area will more than likely have a negative effect on all of Charlbury. With an over-subscription to the local primary schools already and the quaint number of shops available to current Charlbury residents I would argue that this is not a sustainable plan. There is also the issues of pollution and the surrounding wildlife of the area to consider. As residents of Hundley Way will already be aware, there is an unknown species of bat living in the row of trees along that stretch of land. Please take a look at the following link as to what the RSPB has to say: https://www.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/conservation/advice/legal/bats.aspx

Here is the link to the survey should anyone wish to have their say on the proposed housing build: www.westwaddy-adp.co.uk/charlbury
As Christine has already said, the survey is open from 30th June - 14th July.

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 1 Jul 2017, 12:44 (last edited on Sat 1 Jul 2017, 12:45)

I would be interested in others' view as to whether to respond to Lagan Homes online survey of residents' views of their proposed housing development of land North of Jeffersons Piece.

There is a very short feedback window (30th June - 14th July), and the cut-off date coincides -- surely not by chance -- with the start of the hearing dates of the appeal to the Local Plan 2031.

I, for one, argued against the inclusion of this land as part of the 2031 plan on the grounds that households in the vicinity were not sufficiently consulted in advance. Lagan Homes have submitted a written statement to the appeal in support of their plans. Am I just being cynical in thinking that this is a way of Lagan trying to strengthen their case by claiming -- very belatedly -- to have consulted local residents?

One could point out that the deficiencies of the glossy brochure that Lagan have yesterday mailed to all residents of Charlbury. The aerial view of The Green area of Charlbury, together with the maps, are selective and also out of date. What is left out are the new roads -- now called Kearsey Court (originally marketed as Ditchley Gate) -- that now exist, north of Ditchley Road and very close to the proposed site.

Routing traffic through this new development would provide a much more sensible route to the proposed new Lagan Homes development than the one that is routed through the narrow roads of the estate round The Green, with its mix of young children and elderly residents. A most unsafe option!

But, given that the plan for housing in this area has not yet been approved (even in principle), perhaps it is better to not comment at all at this stage. What do others think?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.