Lagan Homes brochure. land north of Jeffersons Piece

Rod Evans
👍

Sat 1 Jul 2017, 17:46 (last edited on Sun 2 Jul 2017, 10:12)

Perhaps I can put a bit of context to this. WODC's latest version of the Local Plan (for 2011-2031) sets an 'indicative requirement' of 1000 dwellings to be provided in the 'Burford / Charlbury sub-area' over that period. They have identified this and 3 other sites in the AONB which they want to allocate for housing to contribute towards meeting that requirement (they rejected the site in Hixet Wood incidentally). The Local Plan is currently being examined by an Inspector who has to decide whether the Plan is 'sound' and can be adopted or if it needs further revision.

The Inspector will be hearing arguments in relation to both the sub-area more widely and this site in particular on 19 July. My view - based on national policy provisions - is that it is not appropriate either to set such a requirement within an AONB or to allocate a site such as this at this stage where the extent of genuinely local needs has yet to be established (work is being done on that). For a site to be allocated in a Local Plan amounts to an acceptance in principle that it is suitable for development where the Council's assessment so far appears limited. I've made personal representations (i.e. not on behalf of any group or forum) on these issues and will be arguing the case on 19th.

Whatever the Inspector may decide about the Local Plan however, there is nothing to prevent Lagan Homes and/or the landowner making an application for planning permission at any time. While the fact that WODC want to allocate this land for housing suggests their planning officers would support the principle of its development, an application would at least give the opportunity to examine matters in greater depth than has apparently been possible within the Local Plan process. So whatever your views about it, do make them known to the developers as they have requested - and again to WODC if and when they put in an application.

Information on land ownership should be obtainable from HM Land Registry but I expect someone who knows can be found somewhere in Chalbury!

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.