Kindle advice needed

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 17:01 (last edited on Tue 12 Oct 2021, 17:04)

Yes, Susie, thanks. I realise that, but nevertheless find it very limiting when I'm away from home. I've now just seen Colin's reply, and will try to work out the implications with regard to cost. (If data is not shared via Whispernet, costs are involved.) Thank you, Colin.

I have…

Long post - click to read full text

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 16:17 (last edited on Tue 12 Oct 2021, 16:20)

Hi Christine, I was referring to a HotSpot (Wifi) made by the smart phone. You only need the smart phone and the kindle for your kindle to access 4G. It is also useful to connect laptops to the internet if you do not have WiFi when you are away.

See for Android :- https://www.lifewire.com/use-your-android-phone-as-a-portable-wi-fi-hotspot-2377915

See for iphone :- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204023

See for SailFishOs :- https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203548266-What-is-Internet-sharing-USB-tethering-WLAN-hotspot-

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 15:48

Christine can’t you download some books before you go away - that’s what I do when I won’t have access to WiFi .  You can read the books as they have been downloaded onto your Kindle.  Make sure you open the book after it has been downloaded because sometimes I haven’t been able to, if I haven’t.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 15:01

Colin, I am not understanding.

The problem is not when there is WiFi, but when WiFi is not available - - - often on trains, coaches or when travelling in obscure or rural locations. Actually a lot of the time when one is overseas, at least in my experience. 

I don't see how a phone would help, except insofar as one could access the book on the kindle app on the phone itself.

But that is not at all like reading the book on a kindle paperwhite or similar. My own phone has a tiny screen, and is not suitable for reading lengthy texts. 

I suppose one might be able to download the ebook to the phone via 4G and then transfer it to the kindle when WiFi becomes available. But this would be very cumbersome, and also require space on one's phone. With data charges looming for Europe, it might also be quite costly. 

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍 1

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 14:24

One workaround regards to the 3G connectivity would be to use a 4G phone as a WiFi access point. Most modern smart phones have this functionality. I am not a fan of Amazon (or any big tech company) but do use some of their services.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 12:46

Added to my earlier post as I have just discovered that my Paperwhite Kindle has had a massive software update -- and one that can't be installed and that I absolutely hate. Really hard to change font; back button removed from the top of the screen, and only one font supplied for at least one of my books.

Others might want to have a look before they decide whether or not to carry on using kindle as their preferred device.

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Sat 2 Oct 2021, 12:57

I have decided to resurrect this thread as I have recently discovered that all 3G networks will be shut down, right across the world -- but in stages, and at different times for the different network providers. Three starts the shutdown this year; BT in 2022 ; Vodaphone at the end of 2022. 

This will, of course, also affect anyone with an old phone that is incapable of receiving 4G, plus also numerous older devices that rely on 3G reception.

But, as far as I am concerned, it is the Kindle reception that will affect me. I have read that every single Kindle model made before 2017 only has 3G internet access. The only Kindle models that will be immune will be the 10th generation Kindle Paperwhite 4 and Kindle Oasis 3, since they can access 4G.

It will remain possible to download books over WiFi, but when travelling in remote or rural places (as well as on many trains, boats and coaches) this is likely to restrict access to books. It would be necessary to rely on what had been downloaded in advance.

I've yet to decide whether or not to upgrade to a later model or move over to a different kind of e-reader (perhaps one that is compatible with the Libby app which is used by our UK public library system). But I thought I would post this here, since with Christmas coming people might want to explore the options well in advance of drawing up their Christmas present lists.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Thu 8 Jul 2021, 15:27

I recently discovered that there are web browser apps/add-ons/extensions that will "push to Kindle" the text of artcicles found on websites. Where they might be more comfortably read. Worth checking out.

glena chadwick
👍 2

Wed 30 Jun 2021, 10:48

Thank you all so much for your help. I am sorry to be so late replying but I was away for a few days. I don't have a partner and also always read books (paper ones) in bed so the light is not a problem. It seems that the most environmentally thing I could do would be to see if it could be mended. I will contact you Colin.

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍 1

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 19:35 (last edited on Mon 28 Jun 2021, 19:50)

I do have quite a few micro USB sockets spare at the moment but the problem is that footprint where they are soldered on to the printed circuit board can differ quite a bit. I've not worked on a kindle before but it will not be that much different to a large phone.

I could have a look if you like Glena. 

Here is how it is done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqHaflRK_Y8

J Fox
👍

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 16:18 (last edited on Mon 28 Jun 2021, 16:29)

Charlbury repairs (with a donation to Green hub)

if you send an email to repairs@charlburygreenhub.org.uk with a description of the problem and some pictures with the make and model, Colin May be able to fix!

J Fox
👍

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 16:13 (last edited on Mon 28 Jun 2021, 16:30)

Colin at Charlbury Greenhub May be able to fix (donation. Only) - See email above

Hamish Nichol
👍

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 15:51

As an environmentally friendly alternative there are various people offering a repair service on website like ebay. Typically for around £15 you can get a new usb/charger port fitted.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 15:20

Glena the Paperwhite is better for reading especially late at night because of the light it uses - it hasn’t any blue light in it which will keep you awake at night as it causes brain activity.

Helen Wilkinson
👍 1

Sun 27 Jun 2021, 19:54

You can adjust the brightness of the page - which is great if you have a partner who wants to sleep when you are deeply immersed in a book at night and want to keep reading - you don’t need a reading light - highly recommended 

glena chadwick
👍

Sun 27 Jun 2021, 19:34

Susie and Christine---thank you so much for your help. I'm afraid my walking days are over so wouldn't need it for maps (also have masses of OS to pore over). So it is just reading---why is the Paper white screen better than the bog standard one ?

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 1

Sun 27 Jun 2021, 17:38

Paper white is good.  Mine is nearly 6 years old and still going strong!  Did have a panic a couple of months ago when the page wouldn’t come up so switched it off and then back on again and now ok.  Not sure about the Amazon Fire as there is glare on the screen and not good if you are reading a lot.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Sun 27 Jun 2021, 16:24 (last edited on Sun 27 Jun 2021, 16:25)

My kindle is a paperwhite & suits me well enough, although also 6+ years old. 

If I were upgrading I would look for a kindle that could also manage audiobooks. Apparently these do now exist. Waterproof is also essential. Ideally also a USB C connector as opposed to a Micro USB port.

I would also be tempted by amazon fire, since this could also manage to display maps when travelling. At the moment if I'm using a kindle version of a walking tour or guidebook, I often have a version open on the kindle and also a kindle version open on my phone (for the maps or illustrations).

But amazon fire has more glare on the screen, so if reading is the main thing then the paperwhite would be better. There are rumours that the next upgrade for the kindle would be a colour e-ink screen. That would be very appealing for me if it ever happened.

glena chadwick
👍

Sun 27 Jun 2021, 15:40

I have a rather old (6 years ?) kindle and it is almost impossible to insert the charger into it. So I think I need a new one. The old one was the basic £60 (ish) version and did very well. I read it on the beach in bright sunlight. Is it worth buying the more expensive Paperwhite one ? What would be the advantages ?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.