The Cycle of History

roger short
👍

Mon 25 Aug 2008, 23:05

Ken ,it seems you have awoken the man from his slumber .At least we have something other than white flags and insults to wave about .

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 25 Aug 2008, 14:18

'THERE' is spelt t-h-e-i-r.
The proclaimed custodians of a language should hold their ends up (but restrain from waving them in the air).

ken jones
👍

Sun 24 Aug 2008, 16:03

do not feed the canadian trolls roger you cannot win.it is like living in a harry potter film.canadians and AMERICANS ARE NEVER WRONG.lets fACE IT THEY WON THE SECOND WORLD WAR FOR US? IN THERE DREAMS.

ken jones
👍

Sun 24 Aug 2008, 16:02

do not feed the canadian trolls roger you cannot win.it is like living in a harry potter film.canadians and AMERICANS ARE NEVER WRONG.lets fACE IT THEY WON THE SECOND WORLD WAR FOR US? IN THERE DREAMS.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 15 Aug 2008, 08:05

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world utility cycling in on the increase:

THE RISE OF PEDAL POWER AS BRITONS REACH BREAKING POINT
The British Olympic Cycling team’s medal haul is already off to a winning start with both Nicole Cook and Emma Pooley riding to victory and it seems…

Long post - click to read full text

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sat 9 Aug 2008, 16:37

Thanks for the vote of support on the FGW front; the attitude of the staff member was extreme and a poor reflection on FGW; I'm just not all too sure as to how uncommon it is.

Obviously, motorists, cyclists and pedestrian all have to accommodate each others on roads. My point is that just as a cyclist should accommodate the more physically vulnerable pedestrian's movements; so should the motorist for both cyclist and pedestrian. It's merely the consideration of the stronger for the more vulnerable.

Motorists who treat pedestrians and cyclists as obstacles or annoyances are just bullies.

roger short
👍

Sat 9 Aug 2008, 12:43

Forgive me for asking ,but is cycling for whatever reason cycling and as such, how can you be treated differently on the roads .It all comes down to the same, whichever way you view it, that drivers and cyclists have to get along with each other as long as we are sharing the same space .I have not seen anywhere on the charlbury website any motorists saying that cyclists should be banned from the roads.As for FGW or for any train operator there has to be a slight delay whilst people load cycles onto trains ,but i would have thought that was no different to mothers boarding with pushchairs.Tolerance is what is needed form all sides.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sat 9 Aug 2008, 11:49

Make that: 'The stark contrast in the driver/cyclist relationship . . .'

I can understand when cycling is perceived merely as a recreational activity rather than a utility activity (e.g. cycling to work/school/shops as a practical alternative to driving) where some drivers might make a mistaken assumption on road priorities.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sat 9 Aug 2008, 10:11

I've resorted to cycling to Oxford when train cancellations or delays have made it the only option. It can be done in just under an hour and it'd a good way of experiencing the difference between a cycle friendly route and roads which are designed exclusively for motorized vehicles

From Charlbury to Woodstock you'll a steady flow of cars and lorries whizzing past you, sometimes close enough to shake your bike frame. Clamping firmly down on your handle bars avoids losing balance. Once you get past the south end of Blenheim, the old national bike circuit connects up and you can ride safely all the way though Woodstock on a separated bike path until the roundabouts outside North Oxford. Even there, there are bike paths clearly marked over the highway exits and drivers are generally courteous about giving way.

I suggest trying it. The stark contrast in the driver/cyclist illustrates exactly what I'm on about.

roger short
👍

Fri 8 Aug 2008, 23:34

I still remember when two lads on a tandem went from Charlbury to eynsham on a tandem for a football match in the seventies ,and they beat Jack philips driving his bus to the match .Pity people do not ride their bikes any distances like that any more ,although i chap until fairly recently rode his bike to Oxford and back every day ,he did not rely on the trains.

ken jones
👍

Fri 8 Aug 2008, 13:54

john h used to ride a tandem around charlbury in the seventies.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 8 Aug 2008, 12:58

Apparently, the anti-cyclist hostility extends to FGW train staff as well: this morning myself and two other cyclists were attempting to load our bikes onto the rear bike carriage of the 8.33 am southbound train only to find the designated carriage nearly filled with cumbersome catering equipment leaving scant room…

Long post - click to read full text

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 5 Aug 2008, 10:37

John, didn't you read Richard's guidelines on civility for this forum. If you're bored with my contributions, why are you bothering to read them; much less make pointless, petty remarks?

john h
👍

Mon 4 Aug 2008, 23:25

yawn !!!!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 4 Aug 2008, 14:00

Fair enough Roger, but I think Ken was attempting sarcasm in response to my little historical anecdote which is only really interesting because it traces the roots of people identifying values and status with modes of transport.

The bicycle, an ingenious Victorian invention made efficient and economic transport available to people other than the privledged classes; trains and horses being available mainly to those who could afford them. Thus, cycling gained an association with those of a less status conscious, more egalitarian and progressive political persuasion that prompted a certain degree of class resentment from above.

These days, I think Boris Johnson and David Cameron are trying to convey a more Libertarian and eco friendly value image rather than trade unionist (I'm willing to wager). But its still interesting to note that the negative associations with cyclists (although bizarre to me), seem to have deep social origins.

This may also explain why other countries like Denmark and France have a much more accommodated relationship with cycling in terms of supportive transport infrastructure, schools and general acceptance.

roger short
👍

Mon 4 Aug 2008, 12:55

Actually Igor ,if you read your own posting it becomes obvious that far from me personalising this topic of conversation it is you who stated that you were perplexed with the prominence of anti cycling sentiments on this website .I feel that i was only helping you by enlightening ken that you do not drive a car that you yourself have stated is not kind to cyclists on the roads.Anyway i will keep my thoughts to myself in future unless i feel something else needs advice ,but i will be sure and ask first,by the way your cars quite nice .

roger short
👍

Mon 4 Aug 2008, 12:46

I was only trying to help ken appreciate that you do not have a 4x4 nothing personal in that just stating a fact ,as you were about cycling.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 4 Aug 2008, 10:44

Hey, I just posted a link to an interesting article on the history of antagonism towards cyclists both in Britain and other countries. The only debate is coming from those somewhat bizarre reactions that once again, insist on personalizing what is otherwise an innocuous issue.

What on earth does the model car my wife drives have to do with anything?

roger short
👍

Mon 4 Aug 2008, 06:20

Not this old cherry again. However you dress it up ,is this not back to the cycling debate .I thought that people were happier (note i say happier)not happy with the situation . I am sure that i saw Igor riding his bike with his daughter leading him down nineacres lane the other day while i was driving my SUV the other way ,but to be sure i went nowhere near him .As for your comment Ken ,he does not have a 4x4 his wife drives a skoda .I cannot see the connection with the 1930s though unless todays government are being compared to the party of the day . As far as your research goes there has always been debate about a lot of things in this country,thats what makes us great as in Great britain.Maybe it would be beneficial to have a debate with our local MP as he is or should i say was a cyclist.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sun 3 Aug 2008, 15:25

Negative marketing of utility cycling (From the Wikipedia article on Utility Cycling):

Various interests may wish to portray a negative image of utility cycling on public roads for various reasons. Some governments, wishing to promote private car use, have organized and funded publicity designed to discourage road cycling.

The car industry's marketing efforts frequently try to associate car use with a perception of increased social status. The flip side of this tactic implies efforts to portray alternative transport modes, such as cycling, as indicators of reduced social status and/or poverty. Observers in some car-focused cultures have noted a tendency to perceive or portray people who use bicycles as members of a social "out-group" with attributed negative connotations.[82] The attitudes displayed have been characterised as resembling racist attitudes to ethnic minorities.[83][84] In such cultures, such attitudes are displayed in attacks on cyclists in the media. common themes include blanket descriptions of cyclists as a group who do not pay taxes, who break the law and who have no, or reduced, "right" to use public roads.[85]

ken jones
👍

Sun 3 Aug 2008, 14:08

as every one knows it is only the working class that rides a push bike.every other class such as yourself igor drives a 4x4.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 1 Aug 2008, 13:18

Having been perplexed by the prominence of anti-cycling sentiments recently on display on this website forum, yesterday I stumbled across an article in the national press that presented an historical context for the detractors of cycling.

www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/jul/31/healthandwellbeing.conservatives

I hadn't realised that there had been both supporters and critics of cycling dating back to the turn of the 19th century and that cycling detractors associated cycling with both the early trade union movement, suffragets and the working classes.

Of course the most prominent and effective anti cycling organisation that went as far as imprisoning offending cyclists and abolishing cycling clubs, gained a different sort of noteriety as the political party that gained prominence and ultimately governance of Germany during the 1930's.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.