Woody Lane Planning Application

Mark Sulik
👍

Tue 30 Oct 2018, 16:26 (last edited on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 19:09)

Accessible, adjacent to other developments with parking - not sure why its wrong - some people have large families, so need large houses . Family houses being built for this purpose . If they sell then is it so wrong ? Build starter homes , flats and bungalows- There is always strong demand for Bungalows as the aging population of Charlbury- some who live in inappropriate houses and single occupancy - these are an obvious link - there is always Air B and B to fill those empty rooms , if that's the way people are thinking . Charlbury is surrounded by agricultural land not in the AONB , how nice it would be for a philanthropic person to leave their mark in this town and donate something for the future generations . Off to by a lottery ticket !

Rod Evans
👍

Tue 30 Oct 2018, 15:08 (last edited on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 15:09)

Huw, thanks for your comment. One risk of going into print, here or anywhere, is of misunderstanding. My point, as I said, is that this type of (large and expensive) housing "does little to meet the needs of the existing communities or to attract 'new blood' to keep those communities demographically well balanced."

It's not about whether Charlbury is welcoming or not - in my experience, it mostly is and I'm grateful for that. Rather, it's about planning and trying to maintain - restore, even - Charlbury as a demographically mixed and balanced settlement where the Local Plan (para 4.18) also recognises that it is "relatively constrained in its capacity to accommodate further development."

Of course there will always be a demand for housing of this kind but demand does not equate with need and especially in a protected area, doesn't mean it should always be met. Hope that clarifies...

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍

Tue 30 Oct 2018, 12:32

Rod,

A very informative post. I remain unclear as to what is wrong with drawimg "new blood" into the welcoming community of Charlbury. I suspect that a high proportion of all house sales in Charlbury are driven by people wanting to move into the area and not from within. Perhaps I am wrong.

Whilst comments are sometimes made that these type of houses are not needed, the evidence is that there is a market for them and that they sell ( sometimes off plan)

I am against this application, but equally I am uncomfortable that most planning applications for new build property in Charlbury generates such a strong negative reaction

Rod Evans
👍

Tue 30 Oct 2018, 10:50 (last edited on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 11:15)

This may not be a 'major development' but I believe it will be the first test at Charlbury of how WODC will apply the new Local Plan policies in relation to housing development in the AONB (and hence in their Burford-Charlbury sub-area).

I've deliberately said 'at' Charlbury because the Plan…

Long post - click to read full text

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Tue 23 Oct 2018, 20:03

'Woodside House' - the never-ending irony. :(

Alice Brander
👍

Tue 23 Oct 2018, 18:04

So small developments are subject to neither CIL nor S106. So that would explain why they are being built in this way. It makes you want to cry ....

Alice Brander
👍

Tue 23 Oct 2018, 17:50

You're right Hans. Very disappointing! I thought it sounded a lot. That would make it £18k. About enough to build an affordable hutch.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Tue 23 Oct 2018, 17:10

I believe 600 m2 * £ 200 = £ 120k.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 23 Oct 2018, 16:45

CIL isn't in force yet in West Oxfordshire, sadly.

Alice Brander
👍

Tue 23 Oct 2018, 16:35

Maybe something to do with S106 contribution to affordable housing only required for 1-5 units housing? Lots of small applications to avoid the need for contribution to 'affordable' housing. But don't they need to pay Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) on each development? Looking at the West Oxfordshire website suggests they should pay £200 per m2 of development and the District Council is liable to pass on 15% of the income raised to the Town Council. Is that right? If so, I wonder how much income is coming this way for all these developments? Say 600 m2 x £200 = £1.2m - 15% £180k for 3 big houses? Does anybody know?

Philip Ambrose
👍

Mon 22 Oct 2018, 17:36

Without commenting on the merits or otherwise of the proposals, Robin would appear to be correct. 18/02679FUL was advertised on WODC website a month ago and 17/03423/FUL almost a year ago.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Mon 22 Oct 2018, 15:10

This is definitely a new proposal - I walked past the paddock it proposes developing only today!

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 22 Oct 2018, 14:51

I think these houses are three additional houses!

Robin Taylor
👍

Mon 22 Oct 2018, 12:11

The layout and positioning of the houses advertised on Rightmove suggest that they are the three larger houses already being built under the 2017 consent referred to in the latest Woody Lane application. I don't think they are fictitious houses for which consent has not yet been granted.

Hugh Goyder
👍

Sun 21 Oct 2018, 19:34

You need to be aware of a planning application for 3 houses costing £1.6 million at the top of Woody Lane on the right. The reference on the WODC website is 18/02769/FUL
publicaccess.westoxon.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=PF98A7RKLFB00&activeTab=summary

There is no yellow notice announcing this application anywhere near the site and the 3 houses are already advertised on Rightmove
See: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67882729.html

It seems extraordinary that the developers are now so confident about getting planning permission that they advertise the houses before planning consent has been given.

This proposed housing development does not meet Charlbury's housing needs and will further damage what used to be one of our most attractive hillsides.

If you agree please do send your own comments to WODC as soon as possible.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.