Wilderness thankyou !

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Wed 9 Aug 2017, 16:22

Thanks for the link Christine a nice little article
The only thing i would of like to see at the festival would of been better use of the massive screen behind the performers would of been nice for a camera to be following the artist around the stage and then it being blown up on the big screen as we were at the back on Grace Jones we really only saw the out line of her we could of moved closer for better vision but then you tend to get crushed, blasted away by the base music and or there is always someone taller who decides to stand in front of you ( think i will have to invest in a pair of stilts ) so Wilderness could we have a live camera feed going during the shows Pleaseeeee

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 9 Aug 2017, 13:37 (last edited on Wed 9 Aug 2017, 13:47)

A few days prior to Wilderness, somebody posted in this forum that we could look forward to an early night on the Sunday, given that the headline act was a 70 year old lady... At times, I thought Grace Jones must have been reading the forum, and had set out to show how wrong one can be: www.telegraph.co.uk/music/concerts/needs-clothes-body-painted-grace-jones-seduces-wilderness-crowd/

Grace Jones repeatedly praised the organisers of Wilderness -- "never seen anything like it" --and the general ambiance at Wilderness. She rather wanted to move in to Cornbury. Now, that would make Charlbury life rather more interesting! Toots Hibbert also made similar comments during his (also outstanding) act earlier on Saturday. He's 74 and had just as much energy and panache...

It was a privilege to have seen both these acts, and to have the festival on the doorstep -- so, yes, thank you Wilderness, despite local gripes.

Rod Evans
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 22:28

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...

The Good. As Tim says, the huge variety of 'stuff' to see and do. The best for me was catching the unexpected - a wonderful jazz singer & trio in the Heineken Hall (but take your own drinks!), a modest blue grass outfit…

Long post - click to read full text

Philip Ambrose
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 21:26

Don't lets kill off the goose that lays the golden egg. I for one would rather that the organisers engage early and constructively with the relevant bodies and agencies to improve the festival weekend experience for EVERYONE whether attending or not.

Nicola Morgan
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 16:30

Our thanks to Wilderness for a free pitch and 8 tickets for helpers. We raised almost £2 k on our clothing stall for the Community Centre and they couldn't have been nicer or more friendly.

Alan Wilson
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 15:39

I have a lot of sympathy with both sides of the debate here. But I do get a little tired of hearing that the same things are going wrong every year with regards to traffic or local ticket entry or whatever despite repeated assurances that "we will do better next year". And frankly I don't know what's so good about hearing that the main stage shut down at whatever time it did, if there is still too much noise from other sources for people to get a decent night's sleep. (Personally, I also found the noise disturbing well after 11.00pm last night. But I can't comment on other nights - or days - since I decided the best way to deal with the situation was to abandon the town altogether and spend the weekend somewhere else. I don't think it is reasonable to expect local residents generally to move elsewhere for the weekend, though!)

Helen Chapman
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 14:05

Well said Tim. I have had an amazing weekend - it is a fantastic festival with so many interesting things going on. I just wish we could persuade Cornbury to let us swim in the lake at other times!

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 13:04 (last edited on Mon 7 Aug 2017, 14:24)

Friday night went to Witney on the road towards finstock there was people all over the road H&S is down to avent organisers by law they have a duty towards the customers paying for a service

Amanda Epps
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 13:02

It's WODC that provide the traffic wardens and OCC that produce the parking regulations. Confusing!

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 12:58

In my house Saturday night was very audible, through closed double glazed windows. The main stage/DJs went on until midnight and something else went on until 1.30, loud enough to wake us up. I know the festival is good, the fact they attempt to shut the sound down by 11.00 is also good, but they could do a lot more to make sure it's not so audible that you can actually identify the music being played if you live over a mile away after midnight.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 12:43

Alice i agree with you the food selections were fantastic and like you my cooking can only get better as well but sadly after my weekend the best i will be able to hope for will be to try my hand at tripled fried Cheesy Chips LOL.

Paul glad you read my post but as far as i know the Wilderness organisers are not responsible for the way "Muppets" park in or around towns i always thought it was the county council who send around the ticket warden and that then the police are called if a vehicle is blocking a highway yes the organisers could put out more cones but then people will still move them and park where they like anyway unfortunately that is the society that we live in today, but again the organisers can't be held responsible for the way irresponsible people park blocking paths and pavements and put the pedestrian's in danger, perhaps the council can provide a ticket warden to uphold the law during these events and even roll out the wardens in Charlbury a lot more during the rest of the year and not just confine it to the daytime hours either then perhaps the council can earn some much needed coffers with parking fines.

Alice Brander
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 12:17

I agree Tim - it was a mixture of thought provoking, informative, musically educating and fun. I'm doing an Ottolenghi dish tonight - my cooking can only get better. My pile of unread books has increased. The only night I stayed late was Saturday - Bonobo and the light show - all over on the main stage by 10:10pm. We can't hear it here at all once the main stage closes, my suggestion for next year is that houses in Charlbury that don't have any disturbance (there must be many) offer up their spare sofa beds to those who would prefer to sleep through it.

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 11:51

Cheap shot Tim not every one wants this but puts up with it every year this year the parking was shocking but you are clearly blind to it footpaths blocked by muppets that don't give a dam about others pushing prams wheel chairs you say it's a cheap shot. So this could be a cheap shot but it's getting to big and out of hand if the wilderness festival don't start and look after every one it concerns locals that don't want to go, pedestrians in and and town (park road path blocked) people walking to the avent walking in the road fairness all round we have put up with the visitors since Wednesday so by Sunday it's wearing thin OK lots enjoy it be it locals and visitors we hardly heard any thing till Saturday night and Sunday night when the base and the DJ was clearly heard well passed 11 deadline for the base sound. Cheap shot I don't thinks so.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 11:00 (last edited on Mon 7 Aug 2017, 11:23)

Once again a big thankyou to the Wilderness organisers for a great festival, all weekend everyone of the visitors to the festival seemed to have a good time, I saw lots of locals enjoying their discounted tickets and really getting involved in the great atmosphere that had been created for…

Long post - click to read full text

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.