WODC charges

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Mon 15 Jul, 21:19

Steve, if you need some help with this please send me an email at liz.leffman@westoxon.gov.uk

Steve Jones
👍

Mon 15 Jul, 18:44 (last edited on Mon 15 Jul, 18:45)

Rod,
  the problem is that in a conservation area, normal permitted development laws do not apply. Instead what is allowed is subject to a lot of local district council discretion, and the rules for those are not written down. It would include such things as the location of the building, whether it impacts on views and is visible from the road and public paths. That includes outbuildings such as sheds. If you are in a more historically important part of the conservation area, they are likely to be more restrictive than if you live in a 1990s housing estate.

So those general guidance rules don't apply. The householder is responsible for knowing whether you need planning permission or not, but in order to find would for sure whether you do, then you have to submit outline plans and pay a fee for the assessment.

Now, I can make a guess that I would not need planning permission to replace a couple of rotting sheds in a location that pretty well nobody can see, but to find out for sure costs money. You can't just read the rules as they are not set down in detail.

Rod Evans
👍

Mon 15 Jul, 18:19

Steve, I'm way out of date these days but if you go to https://www.planningportal.co.uk/ there should be guidance available on Permitted Development Rights that would enable you to make your own assessment of what you can and can't do without applying for permission - there certainly used to be a Guide for Householders.  And then as long as you follow that, it shouldn't be a problem, even in a Conservation Area.  As anyone can see, I've put up a greenhouse and shed over the years and no-one's come knocking on my door with an Enforcement Notice!

I'll leave the politics out of this one...

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 15 Jul, 18:08

Steve, There's a story in the press last week that WODC wants to take back some of its services from Publica -- the limited company which is jointly owned by a number of district councils, including West Oxfordshire and the Forest of Dean -- and that the reclaimed services would include planning applications. See https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/24445009.west-oxfordshire-council-looking-take-back-control-services/

If this happens, maybe the procedures can become less burdensome and also less expensive! It seems to me outrageous that it's necessary to pay £220.50 to put up a few self-printed notices on Street Fair Day. No wonder communities are dying ...

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 1

Mon 15 Jul, 17:20

Our shed also was in danger of collapse so we demolished it ourselves, burnt the wood and put another in its place without informing anyone. It’s still there now (only just) !

Steve Jones
👍

Mon 15 Jul, 16:57 (last edited on Mon 15 Jul, 16:57)

I have a couple of rather decrepit wooden sheds on my property, which are in dire need of replacement. They can't actually be seen from any public road, footpath, road or any of the neighbours. I can't even see them from my house, as they are tucked away down the…

Long post - click to read full text

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.