WODC charges

Steve Jones
👍

Mon 15 Jul, 16:57 (last edited on Mon 15 Jul, 16:57)

I have a couple of rather decrepit wooden sheds on my property, which are in dire need of replacement. They can't actually be seen from any public road, footpath, road or any of the neighbours. I can't even see them from my house, as they are tucked away down the side of my garage.

However, I am aware that, being in a conservation area, we have to ask advice on whether planning permission is required or not, so I sent off an email asking about whether I can do an essentially like-for-like replacement to which I received a reply to say I'd have to submit a form, and an assessment would have to be done for which a moderately significant charge would be made. Note that it's not just the "new" building which is assessed, but also the necessary demolition. However, as one of the sheds is already going through it's own partial self-demolition, that may be a little late.

What I am now considering is "repairing" them using similar materials to avoid this cost.

In any event, let people be warned, even finding out if you need planning permission in a conservation area in the WODC area is going to cost you money, and even for something relatively trivial like replacing an existing shed.

In addition to this, I am currently going through the process of applying for the temporary road closure for the Street Fair under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847. That not only used to be free, but WODC even provided a number of printed, laminated notices as are required to be put up. That practice ended about three years ago, so we print our own. However, I am now informed that WODC now make a charge for this application (even by charities), at a cost of £220.50 (non-refundable in the event of a refusal, although you can apply again.

I wonder where this will all end...

nb. such applications now go to a limited company which is jointly owned by a number of district councils, including West Oxfordshire, the Forest of Dean and a couple of others.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.