How have FGW been coping with the snow?

Chris Bates
👍

Wed 27 Jan 2010, 10:00

Derek -

If you are referring to up (to London) pm services, my initial reaction is to say that they form peak evening return services from Paddington that require HSTs. If you are referring to down (from London) services, I need to check with FGW.
However, the CLPG don't feel…

Long post - click to read full text

Derek Collett
👍

Mon 25 Jan 2010, 13:01

It hadn't.

Can I perhaps suggest Chris that rather than attempting (inaccurately) to predict the weather you focus your attention instead on trying to improve the train service? When you originally introduced yourself on this website a few years ago I thought it was in the capacity of some sort…

Long post - click to read full text

Chris Bates
👍

Thu 14 Jan 2010, 09:09

I would expect the ice to have thawed by Saturday AM

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 13 Jan 2010, 21:29

Thanks to you all. I shall try going to Oxford tomorrow on the train and that will serve as a dry run (or a very wet run if I fall over on Dyers Hill!). Incidentally, I have emailed David Cameron this week to complain about the non-gritting of the pavement on Dyers Hill. I know that a great many people use it to get to the station and don't see why they should endanger their lives by either falling over on the ice or getting mown down by cars because it is safer to walk on the road.

How's the cycling going Russell? I think I've been out for one (short) ride this year! My legs are getting itchy...

John Dora
👍

Wed 13 Jan 2010, 21:12

Walk to /from station not on pavements but on the road seems better, especially with hiking or snow boots. I too work in London and about half my colleagues are sporting hiking boots!

dave wells
👍

Wed 13 Jan 2010, 20:37

The train service has coped well in my experience - I work 9-5 incentral London and have had no (unusual) problems. However the pavements down to the station are awful - very hard work to walk down or up

russell robson
👍

Wed 13 Jan 2010, 17:29

I've used the train twice, once great once poor.

Roads pretty icy early and late, and footway is like light muscavado sugar and about 4" deep in it.

My daughter finds travel by sledge best at present! Shame I'm the reindeer.

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 13 Jan 2010, 17:25

I need to go to London on Saturday morning by train. Could someone please let me know (a) how well the trains are running at the moment and (b) what the pavement on Dyers Hill is like with regard to walking to/from the station? Thanks.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.