How have FGW been coping with the snow?

Chris Bates
👍

Wed 27 Jan 2010, 10:00

Derek -

If you are referring to up (to London) pm services, my initial reaction is to say that they form peak evening return services from Paddington that require HSTs. If you are referring to down (from London) services, I need to check with FGW.
However, the CLPG don't feel that turbos are the 'correct' stock for the Cotswold Line, and I suspect it is their pressure to provide HSTs where possible that is having some influence. There are many passengers who feel that longer than 90 minutess on a turbo is very uncomfortable. Your view may not be the majority view.

Carnet tickets are certainly still being discussed within FGW - however, there is a security problem with people reusing these tickets more than once. Until they can be sure that something can be put in place to prevent reuse, there isn't likely to be much movement on these.

However, there is shortly to be a trial of season tickets valid obnly for set days a week (2 or 3 days), and I look forward to seeing the results of this.

The problems being reported on the online blog are getting fewer - e.g. no entry since the 19th. Previously, it was very unusual for the blog to go a week without an entry.

For the last period, the stats are showing over 90% punctuality for all regions of FGW. SErvices are improving, and obviously can still getr even better. I am constantly monitoring & discussing services.

Please provide further details of the ticket machine not working - was it at Charlbury? You say you started at Charlbury, but " I thus travelled from Didcot Parkway and back without a ticket." Sorry, but which was it?

For information, the 2148 ex-Pad on Fridays only will become a turbo from the May timetable. I've expressed disatisfaction in that Friday is the day a lot of lugage is carried and even if passenger counts indicate a turbo has sufficient seats it is unlikely to hold sufficient luggage space.

Unfortunately, carrying luggage doesn't earn TOCs any money and thus doesn't really feature in their thoughts, unfortunately.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.