Our Evenlode - rather distressing environment article

Rod Evans
👍

Fri 3 Mar 2023, 13:06 (last edited on Fri 3 Mar 2023, 17:25)

I do go on, don't I!  But see here:

THIS SUNDAY! 5th March 8pm BBC2. OUR TROUBLED WATERS - Paul Whitehouse's new hard-hitting 2-part documentary starts this Sunday - WASP features in the first of two programmes. Please share and let your friends know. This has been a year in the making and has dug deep into water pollution. This Sunday 8pm

Also, WASP are holding a 'walk & talk' meeting in Witney on Sat 11 March from 1-3pm, meeting at the Corn Exchange, Market Square - visiting the Windrush & with explanatory talks.

Rod Evans
👍 2

Thu 2 Mar 2023, 18:26 (last edited on Thu 2 Mar 2023, 18:28)

Many thanks Claire & Hans.  Should anyone follow Claire's link and watch the video, don't be fooled by the Thames Water PR machine and the surprisingly cuddly journalistic ending.  Discharge of untreated sewage is a long standing, deep-rooted problem and it's not going to be sorted quickly just because TW have finally woken up to the damage they've been doing.  So the more people who get involved, gather evidence, lobby their MP etc the better - see website links below.

And, according to the BBC (so it must be true!) we've just had the driest February for 30 years - and continuing.  So the river is at its lowest and clearest for ages and a perfect opportunity for children to have a good look and see what's down there.  I may try some riverfly monitoring on Sunday morning (probably 11+) so if you spot a strange man in chest waders somewhere around the Mill Field I'll be happy to show you the results!  Unless of course it's raining....

Hans Eriksson
👍

Thu 2 Mar 2023, 18:14

Claire Wilding
👍

Thu 2 Mar 2023, 14:53

If you follow this link you can see the online version, which is longer. If it asks you to subscribe, try opening an incognito window first. https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/cotswold-swimmers-sewage-pollution-2175857

Rod Evans
👍

Thu 2 Mar 2023, 14:38

Jean - I tried cutting & pasting but the i then insist I subscribe to access the article.  Sadly it's not in today's paper version.  Any thoughts on how to get to it otherwise?? 

Jean Flint
👍 2

Thu 2 Mar 2023, 12:41

We are famous!!

cut and past the following link into your browser!!

app.inews.co.uk/full_page_image/page-12-1359/content.html

Rod Evans
👍 4

Mon 27 Feb 2023, 09:58 (last edited on Mon 27 Feb 2023, 10:04)

A major announcement – and as importantly an admission – from Thames Water today, with plans for improvements in their sewage treatment plants and other steps.  At last they admit to a lack of investment in the infrastructure over many years – but still blame the Victorians despite having had possession of it all for over 30 years!  Too little, not nearly fast enough – see Claire's and Malcolm's posts below (though Malcolm's is mainly about yet another major cause for concern).  And you can guess what response I might have to our MP’s piece in the Chronicle but won’t put it here for fear of relegation to the Debate section.

For those who’ve seen my previous posts on this topic, CUTE! (for Clean Up The Evenlode!) never got going as an entity but you will find more local info via the ECP and WASP, below.

https://www.wildoxfordshire.org.uk/biodiversity/river-catchments/evenlode-catchment/

https://www.windrushwasp.org/

Charlie M
👍

Sat 25 Feb 2023, 10:05

Claire ... or at least go through the motions ... ;-) 

Claire Wilding
👍 11

Sat 25 Feb 2023, 09:52

You can see water quality data for our stretch of the Evenlode here:

https://environment.data.gov.uk/catchment-planning/WaterBody/GB106039029960

The ecological status is classed as "moderate" and if you scroll down you can see the main problem is phosphate levels. 

The chemical status is "fail" due to presence of a couple of persistent chemicals as mentioned in the article. 

Don't worry though! The government is rushing through the EU Retained Law Bill which will "sunset", i.e. chuck in the bin, all the legislation on water quality by the end of this year. So there will no longer be any obligation to report, or even monitor, the wide range of possible pollutants in our rivers. I'm sure we'll all be much happier when we can swim in in the Evenlode in blissful ignorance of whatever toxic chemicals we may be ingesting. 

Gareth Epps
👍 3

Fri 24 Feb 2023, 23:11

There are two incidences of this pollution in the report, both from the Thames Water sewage treatment works at Chadlington.

Chris Tatton
👍 21

Fri 24 Feb 2023, 19:37

Wasn’t that what Brexit was all about, taking back control, so the right wing politicians could loosen environmental controls, weaken health and safety laws and slash workers rights once outside the EU. We now have the freedom to put sewerage in our rivers and use neonicotinoid pesticides which kill our bees in the process. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Fri 24 Feb 2023, 14:02

Pasted-in below is text of an article about the pollution of all our rivers. Does anyone know what level the Evenlode is? And any significant sources?

Where does our drinking water come from?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/24/pfas-england-waters-not-meet-pollution-targets-by-2027

Below full article>

-------------------

‘Forever chemicals’ mean England’s waters will miss pollution targets for decades

Helena…

Long post - click to read full text

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.