Recent fuel increases and feeling ripped off

Charlotte Penn
👍

Thu 16 Dec 2010, 00:23

I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts on the blatant profiteering with the major recent fuel increases over the last few days/weeks? I’m gob-smacked on how the fuel prises have just suddenly increased. Don’t tell me that these companies buy their fuel day by day - week by week? I just don’t buy this and believe that they get fixed rates, as large international companies do.

To explain – diesel was £1.249 - 7 days ago at Judds, then £1.259 - two days ago, suddenly £1.279 yestoday and £1.299 in Chippie for diesel yesterday. This is way above the national average: www.petrolprices.com/

UK Petrol Prices for
Monday 13th Dec 2010
Avg. Min. Max.
Unleaded: 122.15p 116.9p 133.9p
Diesel: 126.19p 119.9p 140.9p
LRP: 125.05p 122.9p 129.9p
Super: 129.41p 119.9p 141.9p
LPG: 69.85p 61.9p 80.9p

However, at Tesco fuel station in Witney today – diesel was £1.229. That’s 5p cheaper than Judds, 7p cheaper than Chippie’s. Thank the Lord, I made the effort to travel today, it was worth it. I last bought diesel at Tesco in Witney @ £1.199 two weeks ago. Tesco obviously sell at the national average.

So we hear about the sudden increase in wholesale prices one day; then with no warning on sudden increased RSP costs - well above inflation, when demand is high, in winter. And, then you hear in spring how much profit these fuel companies make (we are talking billions) and about the big fat cats earning millions in salaries and bonuses.

My point to this posting is- are we all going to except this - doing nothing about this profiteering or are we going to boycott these blatant rip offs together? Food also costs goes up, due to increased fuel. These are basic day-to-day commodities,

If we choose where we buy – we can make a difference. If there are no customers – the companies are forced into lowering their prices.

I for one am sick to death of being ripped off and that’s why I’m asking what you all think? And, help.

I’d also like to know what David Cameron is going to do about this profiteering. Whilst the government just gives the understanding charm spiel in the press (and that’s understandable), but they are giving us common people the understanding that they are they actually doing nothing about it. I really hope that David Cameron stops this profiteering right now. I thought that’s what government are supposed to do; making laws to stop these blatant thieves. People will continue to loose faith with Conservatives if the common people are not looked after. This is not an easy time for us common people - with the budget cut backs, redundancies, etc. We all need help – to pay our bills.

By the bye - I’ve also just changed utility fuel supplier for both my gas and electricity- to annual fixed rate with OVO, who are charging less than the charges from the last lot, before the recent increases .https://www.ovoenergy.com/compare/results.php

I apologise for sounding as though I’m preaching, and hope the above makes sense, and agree with other postings, that we do all need to get together – to have a voice, as you are with the library closure, etc.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.