Cornbury Park Licence Application

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 6 Dec 2010, 18:27

David, It's more than a rumour that the 2 festivals are on the same day. here is the link to the proposed Wilderness festival at Cornbury Park: www.cornburypark.co.uk/musicfestival.php
And here is the link to the Cornbury Festival at Great Tew: www.cornburyfestival.com/

Notice that they are both now 3 days. Since the Cornbury Festival dates were announced earlier, it seems sensible to assume that the Cornbury Park dates have been deliberately picked to make it difficult for the other one to go ahead. Perhaps the idea is to get the Cornbury name back. In any case, it's not at all a pretty situation.

At least we now know what the proposed numbers are for the Wilderness festival (10,000). And this is good, since the Mama group runs festivals much, much larger than this (40,000 counts as a 'medium sized festival').

I, for one, haven't decided yet whether or not to object. I'm absolutely in favour of a festival at Cornbury (& have very much enjoyed it over the years). But I also feel sad for Hugh Phillimore who seems to have been forced into administration, & seems also to be doing his level best to handle his debts in a responsible fashion (at least if the report in the Witney Gazette & various on-line forums are to be believed).

I also think that the General License that has been applied for is far to open ended: in terms of numbers attending, number of events, licensing hours etc etc. I understand that arrangements for any large event have to be put to the Safety Advisory Group. The responsible authorities (police, fire, ambulance, highways, environmental health etc) then look at that specific event and add appropriate conditions to that event. This means that there is more regulation than I had orginally supposed. So I have ended up feeling quite uncertain.

I want a festival, but not that licence & not those 3 days ...

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.