LED and motion detector street lighting in Germany, Denmark,

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 6 Nov 2009, 18:10

Jon, the point about women being enouraged to fear the dark is a longstanding one, & is not simply a product of the tabloid press. After all, women have long been blamed in court for being out at night if they are attacked. That's why there were (in fact, now are again) so many women-only marches to 'Reclaim the Night'.

It's in fact young men who are most at risk on our streets at night, but it's women, not men, who are encouraged to be fearful. On more than one occasion when the last train has arrived late at Charlbury station, a young woman (a stranger) has asked if I would mind walking her home. Sadly, many women just don't go out at night. The statistics also record that the fear increases with age, and that it's only men over 75 who openly express this kind of fear.

One of the things I currently like about Charlbury is that at the moment it still feels pretty safe at night. Will I feel as safe when the (dim & fairly distant) light in my street goes out? I don't know, but I think it fairly likely that I will use the car more when I'm likely to be home after 12.30. I will probably also improve my security lighting.

I moved from a town where I regularly caught burglars, & even in Charlbury I've had the glass in my my front door smashed. I liked the fact that I could at least identify the culprits by the light of the street lamp. That's unlikely with the only street light turned off. Will it encourage me to move house? Again, I don't know.

What you recorded as the majority vote was that only lights at stategic points (like bus stops) would remain on. I remember (perhaps wrongly) that it was suggested that through routes (not only pedestrian through routes) would also be lit.

In either case, I don't think the tiny financial saving worth is the misery that is likely to be caused to a minority of residents (mostly women and the elderly). On the other hand, I am absolutely in favour of encouraging the Council to invest in solar technology & alternative energy to cut down on our carbon footprint & lighting bills.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.