Broadband speed in Charlbury

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 27 Sep 2009, 18:39

I'm running a mix of 802.1b and g protocol machines wirelessly and don't find that the speed of the g protocol devices is affected by the performance of the b devices and was under the impression that the suppression of performance throttling under b as lowest common denominator had been one of the issues addressed under g protocol to prevent just this...but its ancient history now and my memory may be at fault. My transfer intra network of binary files under g proceed at the speed over the network from a fileserver that I would expect in "real life" - compared to theoretical speeds of file transfer. Perhaps its because I've a good quality wireless bridge connected to a good quality smart hub for the wired part of the network which all leads back to the home LAMP Linux server.

The n standard isn't formally ratified yet - this happens in October so real soon now - so I've been holding off buying any n kit, soldiering on with old stuff as make do, just in case there are any nasty bits of horsetrading in the final ratification of the standard. Been caught out like that before over the last 30 years!! Then I intend to re-equip with n on the laptops and those desktops not wired in, and change over to gigabit on the wired network. However, your practical point that anything as old as the b standard protocol is faster than the internet connection any of us is likely to have passing bits about is absolutely valid ;) A b lan card is just as quick as a g lan card at loading the internet during the course of the World Wide Wait putting up a page... Flashkiller or flashblock (forgotten exact name) is your friend in Firefox. If you havn't got it, find it and download it now as an add-on! Modern web programming has gone insane with flash programs and widgets this and diddledoos that cluttering up the whole space, 3 web pages open and a 2.8 gigahertz computer with 2gb of ram is slowed to a near useless crawl, and even a 2 processor computer at 2ghz feels the slowdown.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.