Where is the support for peter our postmaster

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 29 May 2009, 10:50

I signed the petition immediately it was brought in, and I'd encourage anyone else to do so. Here's why.

Pete phoned me within a day of his suspension to explain what had happened. In a nutshell, he tried to help a customer who had deposited what the customer later realised was an invalid cheque payable to a third party. When the customer phoned to explain the mistake, to save the customer embarrassment Peter tried to undo the payment. Because of the time of day and the day of the week, he wasn't in time. I suppose he should not have tried to help: he should have told the customer it was too late, there was nothing Pete could do about it, the cheque would probably bounce, and the customer should be more careful next time... Not Pete's style.

No money went missing, Pete was just being his usual helpful self. But he did make a mistake, a technical one. The Post Office could see from the correction that Pete had already balanced the account. It was very obvious that he wasn't trying to 'get away with anything'. He was just trying to pull a dud cheque out of the system.

In such circumstances, other postmasters tell me, the PO management chooses to be punitive. In Pete's case three weeks suspension (apparently that is quite lenient -- I'm told other postmasters get punished more severely!) and the obligation to pay the postmaster who replaces you. Then, after three weeks of public embarrassment, you're given your postmaster's licence back... because of course you have done nothing wrong beyond the kind of slip many people are making at work every day of their lives, until they spot the error and correct it or someone else does.

These are facts behind the petition.

Or are they the facts? Some people think otherwise. There are rumours that Pete failed his audit (a lie: he's proud to have passed a recent audit with flying colours) or had somehow got off with thousands of pounds (another lie). I don't care if people think these things: we know there are people around with that sort of inventive mind. But how do the rest of us know they think these things? Because they go round telling other people.

Come out of the woodwork, you rumour-mongers! If I'm wrong, say so. Let's see your evidence. Prove me wrong and prove Pete a thief. But if you are simply spreading malicious gossip about a much-loved, greatly respected member of the local community who has performed countless acts of kindness and generosity to thousands of people (including you, I'm sure) in the dozen or more years he has been postmaster here, apologise now. You can do it nice and publicly here!

I believe Pete needs our support and encouragement to return to his post office in two weeks' time and resume the fantastic service he renders to all and sundry. He's been talking of retiring. Shame on you Pete! There's years in you yet. I'll be along with a bottle of bubbly the day you're back behind the counter where you belong!

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.