Charlbury - our town (not a village!)

Christopher Tatton
👍 19

Wed 6 Dec 2023, 10:54 (last edited on Wed 6 Dec 2023, 11:57)

Well there you have it Hans, 6 or 7 cars parked on yellow lines in Church Street on Sunday as you observed, so those five parking spaces recently removed are actually greatly needed.

And yes there are loads of things to love about Charlbury and one of them is very much the Bull. 

However, if the relevant authorities allow this retrospective planning concerning the car park to go through, I believe the community of Charlbury will regret it for a long time. It will become increasingly difficult for guests at the Bull, and for some local and long term residents to park near their homes. Many will complain on the forum, but it will be too late. 

Some have suggested that there is adequate space on the Bull site to maintain those 12 precious parking spaces with a little imagination. A small movement of the fantastic tent and fire pit into part of the largely underused and wet garden space in the winter months, and by some small movements and efficient use of other storage and units nearby. The shade of the marque could also be useful in the summer months, or removed if the owners think that is more appropriate. Then you have a win win situation for this brilliant business and for the community of Charlbury. 

To argue that those trying to protect those precious parking spaces in the pub car park are also attacking the Bull, are wrong. To make comments that we are kill joys or resisting change (some comments are ruder than that), is rather unkind. Greta would say “how dare you”. Those kind of comments are also rather two dimensional and very black and white. Charlbury is a thriving community that is so much more sophisticated, three dimensional and with lots of colour. What the new owners at the Bull have created is something that they should feel absolutely proud of, Charlbury should  feel proud of it. It is a great asset to the town. The mistake was to make the changes without first seeking the necessary planning permission, and then to have no choice but to then apply for retrospective planning permission, which is frowned on understandably by the relevant planning authorities and by many in the community. 

For those who attack Charlie, a long term and valued member of our town for expressing a personal opinion are more than a tad unfair, you might not agree, you don’t have to agree, but hey. When I last looked, we were still living in a free and sort of democratic society, where people are allowed to express different views. 

The Bull was the first pub I drank in legally when I was 18, (just a few years ago, I wish) and staying at the then Charlbury Youth Hostel having cycled down from Leicester and touring the Cotswolds, so it is special to me. When a previous owner tried to close down the Bull-and apply for planning permission for three lovely executive homes on site instead. I was there, part of a great team, which included Councillors Liz Leffman and Andy Graham and we got stuck in, and with the support of the Charlbury community we protected this wonderful historic community asset for future generations.. And sorry if you don’t like it but I’m getting stuck in again, to try and protect as many car parking spaces in the centre of Charlbury as possible.

Likewise when the Riverside Festival was under threat, we were there, much to the annoyance of Charlbury’s then blue rinse brigade. We were there arguing along side Andy Pickard at a District Council public licensing committee that this event was something precious to protect in Charlbury. I was even made to don my work suit by Chris Wray and Dave Oates at some unearthly hour on a Sunday morning to turn up at the local police station as District Councillor and argue that the Riverside was a safe and precious event worthy of protection. Not that easy a task after a few beers down the Rosie and a kebab from the local van the night before, but the team was effective. 

So, we are not being negative in arguing for the protection of precious car parking spaces in the centre of the wonderful community of Charlbury. I believe that a compromise is possible with a little imagination to protect those precious 12 parking spaces and allow the Bull to continue providing an excellent service to local residents and visitors alike. And I wish them well in this exciting venture.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.