Additional Car Parking in Charlbury

Rod Evans
👍 7

Thu 12 Oct 2023, 15:56 (last edited on Thu 12 Oct 2023, 22:08)

Timely – I was thinking of starting something similar, rather than just barking about DFLs’ parking…

But first, at the risk of ruffling feathers, I have never understood why so many drivers expect to park on a public road within a few yards of their destination as if it were a divine right – be the destination a pub, a school, a shop or office or their own front door.  Public space is for public use…..

Parking in breach of legal restrictions however is another issue – but they only work if enforced.  A residents’ parking scheme can help – but again, only if it’s enforced – eg the disabled bay outside the deli is regularly blocked by non-disabled drivers – but see below. 

Public parking is often provided in other places by local authorities – Liz L may correct me but as far as I know WODC has done nothing to improve the situation here despite it being a problem for many years – but presumably too small a problem given all the other pressures local government is under.  And as far as I know, there’s no land available. 

These problems – inc buses getting stuck - were recognized in our Neighbourhood Plan but with few if any resources for the TC to do anything about them.  Some of course may say we should get out of our cars, use public transport etc.  Perhaps one day we’ll (collectively) wean ourselves off ownership and have eg car clubs instead – cf James's post - but I’ll skirt around that one for now.

With the ‘B & B’ both now apparently thriving and other businesses getting going, the pressures are only going to increase.  But we can’t have it both ways – interestingly the second key issue identified in the 2016 town survey was to “support existing shops, pubs and other businesses in order to maintain town centre vibrancy.”  Vibrancy means people means traffic – but also of course economic activity and employment opportunities.

So a few suggestions:

To prevent buses getting blocked in Brown’s Lane – a line of steel or collapsible bollards inserted in the road immediately below the parking bay about 2 ft out from the kerb (to prevent parking there) until the road narrows by the Bull / Memorial Hall entrances. 

We surely have to look seriously at a residents’ scheme, at least in the centre – though usually the restrictions don’t apply in the evenings & weekends.  Doesn’t mean they can’t.  Enforcing always a problem but at least it would be off-putting.

Public parking.  Excavate at the Spendlove – could be interesting – go down one level, 2 storeys above covered in greenery.  Simples!  But is it? And who pays??  Probably not a serious option.  And as some would see it, would only encourage car use.

There is of course a large car park at the station, now seemingly much less busy than pre-pandemic.  How about: a. negotiate reduced rates for evenings and weekends and b. run a shuttle service up the hill, ‘park & ride’ style.  Who pays?  Perhaps the businesses which would benefit might come together and find a way??  And trust me, it’s a darn sight easier walking down the hill apres pub than up it…. 

PS I hadn't read Katie or Philip's posts when I wrote the above.  I like Katie's thoughts on the Spendlove, more priority parking etc - and despite my opening mini-rant understand about mobility issues.  But I wouldn't be so pessimistic about the 'new' visitors - combine a residents' scheme with that shuttle (though don't think we're quite there with automonous vehicles) etc - and improve enforcement....

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.