Latest commitments from First Great Western

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 17 Oct 2008, 10:08

Yesterday, I was 10 minutes early on the Oxford plaform for the north bound 4.50. When the train pulled in I wheeled my bike to the bike carriage where I was. There were three cyclist ahead of me who were actually on the platform after me but as I walk with a limp due to an injury, they were able to wheel their bikes faster than I.

After the three cyclist ahead of me placed their bikes in the carriage I was informed by the train guard, an employee of Fist Great Western that I wouldn't be allowed to board the train as the bike carriage was now full.

I calmly pointed out to him that there was actually space in the bike carriage between the other bikes and that I had a child waiting to be picked up from an after school activity in Charlbury, just two stops up the line.

Again, he insisted that I would not be permitted to board the train for safety reasons.

I then asked is I could place my bike between carriages, out of the way of other passengers. I was informed that he wouldn't permit that either, although train guards in the past have frequently permitted precisely this at their discretion.

I pleaded with the train guard.
He insisted I take the next train.

I then asked for his name saying that I a regular train user, that this was the second such occurence I had experienced and that First Great Western should take some responsibility in meeting the obviously increasing demand for paying passengers with cycles to carry.

I then politely asked for his name so that I could take my complaint further. He obliged suggesting I do take my complaint further and radioed in that the train was being delayed due to a Charlbury bound cyclist. He then took a photo of the bike carriage with his mobile.

I should add that all this must have taken some 7-10 minutes.

At the last minute, the train guard then told me to go ahead on put my bike on board for which I thanked him profusely for demonstrating his flexibility and I quickly secured my bike and jumped on board.

Except the first door was blocked by the train's drinks cart taking up half the between corridor space. the vendor told me I had to go down to the next carriage, which I obliged.

In the next corrder I found a cuple of the other cyclists who had boarded before me. They were suprised to see me and equally disturbed at my treatment by the train guard and First Great Western's policy toward cyclists.

To his credit, this train guard exercised common sense but what I want to know is what is FGW' policy going to be in future towards paying customers who have bikes to carry?

Is this lottery going to continue as to whether or not we get to ride while beverage carts are given priority over passengers?

Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.