S3 bus stops in Charlbury

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Tue 20 Dec 2022, 18:56 (last edited on Tue 20 Dec 2022, 18:58)

Buses in Charlbury are a nightmare.

My wife and I have given up our car for environmental reasons, for the 2nd time in 10 years, so we are wholly dependant on buses and the train service (which is also unreliable at present) to get anywhere - or a taxi.  The first time we tried this extinction rebellion experiment we were saved by a lovely couple in the town with whom we entered into an informal car share agreement.

Since then nothing.  The good folk of Charlbury would, it seems, rather see their cars rot on their drives than help neighbours and the environment.

Just last week my wife had to go to Witney Hospital for an x-ray on her damaged ankle.  The weather, you recall, was literally freezing.  Trying to get an X9 back at about midday it just didn't turn up.  She called me and I suggested that she booked a taxi (for almost £25.00).  

I use an app called "Bus checker" which is pretty good but wouldn't it be better for those who can't afford smartphones, or who don't like apps, to have the times on bus stops as they do in Oxford?

For 10 years I have been bothering the Town Council to get rid of that ugly and arcane green bus shelter at Five Ways which is only used by inebriated youths and now as a graffiti wall, and to replace it with something more modern like the ones in Oxford, outside our house, and with a decent time display.  I'm getting tired of inviting the elderly into our porch and giving them cups of tea and digestives!  It's not rocket science.  I asked one lady, who was very cold at the Five Ways bus stop, why she didn't use the decrepit shelter and she explained that although she'd tried, she couldn't risk trying to cross the road when she saw a bus she wanted (she uses a zimmer frame) in case she was hit by a vehicle.  (Of which there are a lot coming from all directions at Five Ways).

Surely one of the Town Councillors can get a grip - oh, and if you have a second car, let me know please?  Perhaps we could come to some mutually beneficial arrangement. 

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.