Charlbury has beaten previous standing British heat record

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 19 Jul 2022, 17:44 (last edited on Tue 19 Jul 2022, 18:06)

I'd, ever since a kid in S. Ontario where weather is really, really, variable what with big shallow freshwater lakes (heat up and cool fast) next to frigid-depthed deep lakes - I've always wanted a weather station of my own! I've now got a 55 foot by 60ft rear garden and some disposable income that I suppose can deprive the kids' of for part help of putting down deposits on their own homes...

But John's website has rendereed that superfluous, hasn't it? He's not in a good position for measuring wind properly on the part of the slope its located off the Enstone Road (the station, and anenometer assumably on a stick) and no doubt other constraints.

But every time I take the dogs out for a walk I check the air temperature and clothe myself accordingly. If I wanted to be indepenent of the Internet working, what is the minimum reliable temperature and humdity kit I should purchase, and in what housing if necessary?

I always get the clothing wrong for the dog walk if I don't check the air temperature first...

Can't believe we were as kids holding bicycle dragraces down the newly tarmac'd street in a period of clouded, high humidity (90%s), Hamilton heatwaves that part of the Niagara Peninsula was notorious for. Kids seem to be extremely adaptable and robust in those days - what would today's snowflakes be like?! Until that summer the roads were gravelled with stuff that seemed more akin to railroad (sic) ballast rather than a more Macadam type layering, and bicycles and tricycles not really useable. At the same time they put in sidewalks (sic) as before that there was only the railroad trackbed, no room for walkers. No hedges or fences on the front yards - they were banned (along with trees? Remember no trees being planted) so we trespassed onto the front edges of front lawns. EVERY house had a 2.4 child family in it, it was a classic 1950s/60s working class suburb where 90%+ of the men worked for the huge Hamilton Steel industry. And we played out all day in the 90F/high humidity heat in the summer as just the normal cycle of the year - as was the 10 foot of snow for tobogganning courtesy of the Erie Snowbelt every winter. But winters were relatively mild, associated with the amount of snow, it seldom went for any time below about 14F in temperature so one could play outside in woolly pullovers instead of cumbersome coats and boots. When really hot my father used to hang up sheets on the front verandah, soak them with the hose periodically, and blow electric fan air over the sheets into the doors and accessible windows. Blowing a fan through wet sheets might be a useful tip now...?

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.