Replies from Robert Courts MP

Katie Ewer
👍

Wed 29 Jun 2022, 18:23

Second reply on Sue Gray:

As you are aware, Sue Gray has now published her final report, which was commissioned by the Prime Minister to establish the full facts and set the record straight. This report identified a number of failings, both official and political. I welcome that the Prime Minister has taken full responsibility for everything that took place on his watch and offered a heartfelt apology.

In his statement to the House of Commons, the Prime Minister renewed his wholehearted apology to Parliament and to the whole country, for the gathering in the Cabinet Room on the 19th June 2020 for which he received a Fixed Penalty Notice.

In response to the criticisms and recommendations made in Sue Gray’s interim report, the Prime Minister has made significant changes to the way 10 Downing Street is run. This includes a new Permanent Secretary in No10 charged with applying the highest standards of governance as well as easier ways for staff to voice concerns. In her report, Sue Gray has written that she is ‘reassured’ by these reforms.

The Prime Minister was as surprised and disappointed as we all were as the revelations unfolded. Particularly, the Prime Minister has said he was appalled to learn of reports about the mistreatment of security and cleaning staff in Downing Street. He has apologised to those members of staff and made clear that he expects anyone who behaved in that way to apologise as well.

The Prime Minister has been clear that he always set out his understanding of events and he took the first opportunity to explain again what happened, apologise, and correct the record in light of the facts now established by Sue Gray’s report. While in my view it is clear that the Prime Minister did not knowingly mislead Parliament, this matter is being considered by the Commons Privileges Committee. I will of course study the outcome of this investigation in due course.

As for the accusation that the ministerial code has been ‘watered down’: this is completely false. It is plainly untrue to say, as many who should know better have claimed, that the code has been changed to remove the expectation that Ministers should resign for deliberately misleading Parliament. The code can be read here: (https://tinyurl.com/2p9h3fp7) and it states clearly that (see point 1.3.c on page 1):

“It is of paramount importance that Ministers give accurate and truthful information to Parliament, correcting any inadvertent error at the earliest opportunity. Ministers who knowingly mislead Parliament will be expected to offer their resignation to the Prime Minister.”

So what changes have been made to the code? As you may be aware, the Government has been considering the recommendations of the Committee on Standards in Public Life regarding the role of the Ministerial Code and the Independent Adviser of Ministerial Interests.

The Prime Minister has now re-issued the code to include a more specific reference to the role of the Independent Adviser and the duty on Ministers to provide the Independent Adviser with all information reasonably necessary for the discharge of his role. Further, graduated sanctions for Ministers who breach the Ministerial Code according to the seriousness of the offence have also been introduced. While the sanction in a given case would be for the Prime Minister to decide, it may be some form of public apology, remedial action or the removal of ministerial salary for a period.

You can read the report from the Committee of Standards in Public Life, which makes the recommendations referred to, here: https://tinyurl.com/5n76zykz.

Taking all of this into account, and noting that Sue Gray’s report confirms that the Prime Minister is already making the necessary changes in No10 to ensure these mistakes cannot happen again, my view is that the Prime Minister’s heartfelt apology is one that we should accept. He has my full support in delivering the manifesto commitments upon which he received a mandate from the British people, supporting people with cost of living pressures, and continuing to show global leadership in responding to Putin’s barbaric invasion of Ukraine.

As you know, there was a vote of confidence in the Prime Minister recently. I voted in support of the Prime Minister, as did a majority of my colleagues. The vote has made clear that the Prime Minister retains the confidence of the Conservative Parliamentary Party. With that fact now established, it is important that we come together behind the Prime Minister, draw a line under recent events, and move forward to tackle the key issues facing the country. I look forward to continuing to deliver the priorities and manifesto commitments upon which I was elected by the people of West Oxfordshire.

As I know from speaking to local people over recent months, opinions are deeply split on this matter, and that while many do wish to draw a line under this matter and move forward, there are many who feel differently and will no doubt disagree with my position. I do not for one moment doubt the sincerity and passion with which those on both sides hold their views and, while I am unable to please everyone, I do hope that this detailed response has been helpful in setting out my position.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.