the quarry

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Tue 16 Sep 2008, 08:21

I am afraid I am possibly going to put the cat amongst the pidgeons here, but it has come to my attention that the quarry is being patrolled amongst others by the couple, one of whom had the very bad fall requiring the aid of the emergency services to airlift her out (see my posting Mon 18th August for full story), which by the way has neither been confirmed or denied by Curtis's or their representative 'Mr Davies'. Is is just my suspicious mind or is this too much of a coincidence. I must admit it annoys me intensely to think that somebody who had managed to get herself in such a situation has now benefited. Unlike the rest of us who manage to circumnavigate the quarry without any damage to life or limb.

Should Curtis's require local people to patrol, then I live just at the top of Ticknell Piece Road by the entrance from the lane into the quarry (closer than the affore-mentioned couple). I would be only too happy since I too have a dog that needs regular walks. Perhaps Curtis's could let the good people of Chalbury how they came to the decision of who got the job of 'Gatekeeper'?

It has been more than a month now since us law-abiding dog walkers and hikers have been barred from the quarry and the impact is really beginning to hit home. Certainly from a dog walkers point of view it is a nightmare trying to find somewhere which is safe to let ones dog off the lead and (when raining) not knee deep in mud. Part of the lane which wasnot normally a mud-trap has now been churned up by the extra traffic to make it nigh on impossible to navigate.

Please, please Mr Curtis (and I think I can speak for the majority of residents of Charlbury whose free-time was spent rambling around the quarry with dogs and kids in tow) please think again. At least allow us to sit down with you or your representative (the allusive Mr Davies) and listen to our thoughts and plans and maybe we can find a solution that will keep all parties happy. Failing that if there is anybody out there who could make such a meeting happen, then please let us know?

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.