Highway code changes from today (Debate)

Steve Jones
👍 6

Sat 29 Jan 2022, 14:54 (last edited on Wed 2 Mar 2022, 21:36)

No wise pedestrian is ever going to feel safe at the Enstone crossroads as it is currently laid out. It's got poor visibility for all concerned and the Highway Code change will make no difference for what is an inherently unsafe junction. Nobody in their right mind should ever act as if every road user is faultless, that they will always conform exactly to the letter of regulations and that there are no such things as blind-spots. It's wise to not only adopt defensive driving, but defensive walking too for your own safety.

The roadside path down the Slade to the junction is also dangerous as it's narrow, requiring passing pedestrians to step into the road, and abysmally lit at night. The route down Crawborough has its own problems, but I will continue to avoid the Enstone crossroads where I can. I'm also never, ever going to step out into the road at a junction without making sure that any vehicle turning into a junction has actually seen me and is definitely giving way (the same as I do at any pedestrian crossing).

Bear in mind also that we don't have right of way in the UK, we have priorities and caution is always the best policy. Personally I think that this change will make little difference and it's probably going to cause its own issues.

This is a video from a YouTuber called the black belt barrister on the issues he's found trying to put this into practice. As one commentator points out, those with guide dogs are taught to wait until vehicles have past so they can listen for quieter road users, such as cyclists. Quite how this is going to work out in practice, I don't know. As it is, gesturing is a risky thing to do as people can be held partly responsible in the event of an accident.

Incidentally, to be clear, there has been no actual change in the law. These are "should" not "must" rules (breaking the latter is an offence in itself). Instead, it's something that can be taken into account in a driving offence, such as careless driving. Hopefully people will act sensible and safely with due consideration to the safety of themselves and other road users.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.