What is so great about e-bikes?

Frances Mortimer
👍 8

Wed 1 Sep 2021, 22:38

One of the reasons that I put myself forward to be a Town Councillor is because I am excited about making walking, cycling and zero carbon journeys a reality in and around Charlbury. Electric bikes can be a big part of this!

Electric bikes add a bit of power when you are pedalling - up to a maximum speed of 16 mph (above that they cut out and you are on your own).

It doesn't sound like a big deal but actually the electric boost can make a huge difference to how you use your bike. Three years ago we invested in an electric cargo bike which can carry two child passengers on the back (or a non-human cargo if preferred). We use it for the school run, 1.5 hilly miles each way, pretty much every day as well as for lots of other trips. Here are some of the ways that having the electric motor has made a difference:

• We ride it even on days when we are not feeling energetic
  • We ride it even when we are running late (just turn it up to Turbo setting)
  • We ride even when it's too far, late or awkward for kids to ride their own bikes (we can give them a lift)
  • We use it for multiple journeys on the same day - before, I used to mix and match much more between bike and car
  • We can ride in normal clothes without getting sweaty, if we want to - or we can turn down the power-assist and get more exercise 

Lots of other people, including in Charlbury, have found that e-bikes make cycling more possible for a wider range of journeys.

If you would like to have a go on an e-bike, please come along on Saturday 11th September, 1-3pm in Wychwood Paddocks when Charlbury e-bike owners and Warlands Cycles (Oxford) will be bringing bikes for you to try. Book your slot here: https://www.charlburytowncouncil.co.uk/events/e-bike-try-out-day-11th-september/

It would also be great to know if you would be interested in borrowing an e-bike for 2-3 weeks to see how it would fit into your day-to-day life. If the Town Council set up a scheme for this, would people welcome it?

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.