Free parking in West Oxfordshire (Debate)

Christine Battersby
👍 6

Fri 20 Aug 2021, 11:50

If one wants small, independent shops to carry on existing, then free car parking is what is required.

Yes, out-of-town supermarkets provide free car parking for a limited time period, as do a few of the (increasingly rare) centre-of-town supermarkets. But one only has to look at a place like Banbury to see the consequences of charging for parking in the centre of the town. So many shops closed! I very rarely bother going there, and even more rarely go to browse the shops. If Witney and Chipping Norton are to survive as town centres (and without shopping moving to the out-of-town fringes), then free parking is what is required. 

Personally, I've not found it very difficult parking in Woodstock, and I do often park there, although I do often resort to parking in side streets. I do, however, agree that there should be shorter time-slots for parking in the centre of town, and that these should be properly policed.

Witney can be challenging, especially given the closure of the primary long-stay car park (now the Covid testing site). A combination of the bridge closure at Finstock, closed shops, new one-way systems and a reduced number of parking places already mean that I shop in Witney much less frequently than I did before the pandemic. The rather limited bus service is welcome, but is very limiting in terms of the times (especially in the evenings). Witney is setting itself up as an entertainment centre, with micro-breweries, restaurants etc. All very appealing. But it's not possible to drink there and get home without public transport, a designated (drink-free) driver or a (very expensive) taxi ride.

Charlbury is probably the most difficult for parking, at least in the centre of town -- especially given the space restrictions at the Spendlove. Sadly, I now rarely shop in our local Coop, given the parking problems, and really only in the evenings or when I'm doing a "small shop" and can carry home on foot what I have bought. But it would certainly help if parking wardens awarded tickets to long-stayers. Commuters still often park there or, alternatively, on the street, rather than paying for station parking.

Hanborough probably has similar problems, but I rarely go there so am less familiar with them.

There will presumably be a P&R at Eynsham fairly soon. I wonder if WODC will benefit from the parking fees from that car park when it's built.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.