Street Fair - Road Closure "

Steve Jones
👍

Wed 11 Aug 2021, 18:09 (last edited on Wed 11 Aug 2021, 18:10)

Help request for road closure sign placement for Street Fair

As secretary of the Street Fair Committee, several weeks ago, I submitted the usual road closure request to West Oxfordshire District Council under Application for : Road Closure Under Town Police Clauses Act 1847.

In days past, this was dealt with by Paul Cracknell, but he retired a couple of years ago and this is now being dealt with by somebody completely new to the process (I suspect Paul just dealt with this year after year). Things have changed...

This seems to have exploded into a whole lot of new requirements, most of which, thanks to the work of previous organisers I can cope with. However, what Oxfordshire Country Council want (I'm not sure they have ever been involved before) is, not only a road closure signing and traffic plan, which I'm OK with from Peter Kendrick's exhaustive manual, but the actual sign placement can only be done by approved people.

Namely :-

"All signage must be placed onto the public highway by a qualified, accredited individual or Traffic Management Company (holding £10million Public Liability Insurance) and signage must comply with the current Traffic Signs Manual Chapter Eight and the Safety at Street Works Code of Practice/The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016."

Is there anybody in Charlbury who has the required "qualified, accredited individual" status and is able to help us out with this. I'm only looking for somebody who can check what we are doing is correct. I assume there are people in Charlbury who have qualifications as part of their job for this role. 

On name does occur to me who does this sort of stuff all the time, but not someone who frequents the forum.

I should add the Street Fair has, of course, been run under much the same processes since the 1950s, and the road closure request under the 1847 act is what you are meant to apply for if there is a street party, so I do wonder how organisers of smaller events would cope with this stuff.

In any event, if somebody is prepared to be the named individual for our road signage for the Street Fair, I would be very grateful.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.