Covid-19 delta variant

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Sun 1 Aug 2021, 12:58

Ruby, evidence reported here: https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/07/130-people-at-verknipt-festival-had-coronavirus-before-they-arrived-ggd/

In the UK  we need a 2 week window before vaccination certificates work. Those employed on site have to renew their tests every 36 hours.

And actually the 2 festivals are very different. Wilderness has oodles of space, and the music is only one part of the festival. A lot of the events involve booking the separate experiences or banquets, and often include chairs and open-sided tents. As such, there are plenty of places to get away from other people on site.

Verknipt was a very intensive 2 day festival, concentrating solely on electronic, techno and dance music. There were a lot of off-site parties before and after the event: many indoors. Some of the videos make it look like a rave.

EXIT festival in Serbia was later, with 42000 people, and properly controlled. The numbers of Covid cases in the area did not go up at all. (But this is probably also not relevant as I don't know how much the Delta variant is present there.)

After the Latitude festival in Suffolk there have been 20 positive cases in the local area reported so far, and I think that's a much better guide.

Personally I'm much more bothered by the lack of masks on trains and on buses. I haven't travelled by train or bus since so-called "freedom day". But prior to that I estimate that around 50% were not wearing masks properly, many not wearing masks at all. 

And this was certainly not just young people -- but included people of all ages, including well-turned out middle-aged men and women who talked (completely maskless) on their phones or with their friends before alighting at Charlbury station, and who therefore presumably lived locally. 

I think a number of older people will, like me, have become more cautious since July 19th. I am trying to avoid train travel until I see how things pan out; but would have happily gone to Wilderness had the programme appealed to me.

Charlbury and Finstock cases have now gone down to 10 by the way. Witney (3 areas) total 82. Chipping Norton 9.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.