Road crossings and The Slade

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 20 Jun 2008, 18:23

"Not too difficult" is absolutely true in isolation. But when you take the one-way system of Brown's Lane, no cycling through the churchyard, plus the speed at which some - not all, of course - people roar down Enstone Lane, day after day, you can understand that the cumulative effect is that so many people say "that's far too much hassle, I'll drive to the station" (or wherever they're going) - especially on a rainy day!

Brown's Lane is pretty intractable. No matter your view of the hassle, pushing a bike - or anything else - can cause as many problems as it solves. This morning, I was pushing my bike up the pavement from the Bull direction; a lady was pushing her shopping trolley down the pavement from the Playing Close; and the Worths bus was inching down the road. There simply wasn't enough space for all three of us between the Corner House and the Bull, and clearly the bus wasn't going to wait for us two on foot before approaching. With four-fifths of the space out of bounds to pedestrians (whatever they're pushing), this is inevitable.

There is one approach which could work, but I hesitate to mention it as I wonder if prevailing views may be a little too conservative (small or large C!).

It's called 'shared space'. It's been tried several times - in Brighton, in Suffolk, in London, and across the world - and it generally achieves a much safer road, as well as a much more attractive streetscape. Wikipedia has a good summary with pictures. Effectively, the idea is that the whole road is for everyone. No 'pavement', no white lines: you judge what's safe according to what you see, treating others as humans, rather than Cyclist, Motorist or Pedestrian. It's very much the concept of 'respect' that Roger was talking about.

Personally I think 'Old' Charlbury would benefit enormously from it - in other words, the centre of town which isn't a through-route (and I say that in the knowledge that it would increase traffic outside our house on Nine Acres Close/Lane). It would give the town back some of its traditional look while improving safety for all. But I do wonder if attitudes are a little too entrenched to ever consider it.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.