Brexit (Debate)

Steve Jones
👍 4

Tue 2 Feb 2021, 00:51 (last edited on Tue 2 Feb 2021, 00:57)

To add a little aspect of internationalism into the vaccine debate, then I think we ought to acknowledge the wonderful work that the Jenner Institute in Oxford has been doing, with their partners, AstraZeneca. I should also add what the UK government is doing to support COVAX, Gvip and the WHO.

On the subject of Oxford and AstraZeneca, the the two are working together to set up local supply chains and partners in in more than a dozen locations worldwide, including middle and low income countries such as India. AstraZeneca (who have never produced vaccines before) are responsible for such things as production, distribution and scaling up clinical trials (including with local national authorities in several countries). They are pledged to work on a not-for-profit basis until the pandemic is under control and the technology for production has, in effect, been passed on to local partners for free. The Jenner Institute are insistent on making their vaccines affordable and available across the world.

In time, the AstraZeneca production will move to a more commercial model in the rich world, but I'm certain, as with things like HIV drugs, it will be at cost to lower income countries.

As far as the UK's contribution as a whole to access to vaccines, then that is via Gavi and COVAX. Gvip have been responsible for promoting vaccination in low and middle income countries. COVAX is the organisation that has been set up as to make COVID-19 vaccines accessible to low and middle income countries.

The UK is the largest financial donor to both organisations. The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation is the second largest donor to Gavi, although everybody knows that's only so Mr. Gates can inject everybody with microchips - or so I read on the Internet somewhere.

Then there is the WHO. Following Donald Trump withdrawing the USA from the WHO (something I'm pleased to say Joe Biden will reverse), the UK was the largest state donor to that organisation.

I should add, if adjusted for GDP, some of the Scandinavian countries and the Netherlands do contribute even more.

Too often I find people using the subject of COVID-19 vaccinations as some sort of tiresome battle between Brexit and Remain/Rejoin advocates. I also find people make accusations of that the UK government is acting in a cynical, jingoistic and purely selfish manner. I am losing patience with this sort of mud-slinging between people on different sides of the fence.

I just thought I'd put a few facts into the debate, and have provided relevant links.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.