Brexit (Debate)

Gareth Epps
👍 3

Thu 10 Dec 2020, 21:01 (last edited on Fri 11 Dec 2020, 10:25)

Meanwhile we plunge into an Afghan situation (there is no cooperation in the relationship with the EU - it is yet another lie to call the cooperative no-deal relationship Australia enjoys with the EU anything like what a no deal here would look like).

So much for ‘the easiest deal in history’.  Accepting the result is not the same as forgiving those responsible for it.

Michael Gove, 6 April 2016:

“The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want.”

Michael Gove, 1 June 2016:

“We have four years more or less between now and date of next election. We can easily conclude a new settlement with EU in that period.”

Douglas Carswell, 8 June 2016:

“I think we could very easily get a better trade deal than we have at the moment.”

Sarah Vine (Mrs M. Gove), 24 June 2016:

“’You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off,’ I said, in my best (i.e. not very good) Michael Caine Italian Job accent. In other words, you’ve really torn it now.”

Nigel Farage, 20 September 2016:

“To me, Brexit's easy. We have back British passports, we have control of our fishing waters, and our companies are not subject to EU law through the single market.”

David Davis, 10 October 2016:

“There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside.”

Johnson, 3 November 2016:

“Brexit means Brexit and we’re going to make a Titanic success of it.”

Matthew Elliott, 27 March 2017:

“All the problems that you traditionally have with a trade negotiation aren't there.”

Johnson, 11 July 2017:

“There is no plan for no deal, because we’re going to get a great deal.”

Liam Fox, 20 July 2017:

“But of course we want to come to a full and comprehensive deal with the European Union. Why? Because it’s good for the people of Britain and it’s good for our economy and it’s good for the consumers and it’s good for the workers of Europe and their economy. If you think about it, the free trade agreement that we will have to come to with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history. The only reason we wouldn’t come to a free and open agreement is because politics gets in the way of economics.”

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.