Brexit (Debate)

Carl A Perkins
👍 4

Fri 4 Dec 2020, 12:28 (last edited on Fri 4 Dec 2020, 12:37)

Charlie,

A very small minority of people voted for Brexit on the basis of far right propaganda and it's downright offensive to assume that everyone did so. I personally spent months researching into the operations of the European Union before deciding which way to cast my vote. I voted out and wouldn't change my mind whatsoever. I'm not xenophobic, I'm not racist and I don't have a dislike to 'foreigners'. I love going to the continent and will continue to do so.

What I don't like is huge political organisations squandering taxpayer money and imposing unfair rules and regulations to further advance the status of certain countries within the project.

After hearing the comments in some of your pub conversations in the past it actually surprises me that you (like many others who claim to hold the same political views as you), are in such favour of a huge capitalist project - which is what the European Union actually is.

And I think to say that a 1.25 million majority is "as small a majority that you can imagine" is nonsense. That's a significant majority. Besides, in a democracy, a majority of 1 counts just as much as 1000.

I also find it strange when the ultra-remain people who often appear on Newsnight and Channel 4 News continuously claim that people didn't know what they were voting for and that nobody voted to leave the single market etc. I recall almost every leading politician at the time stating that a vote to leave would be a vote to leave those very things. 

I agree with Tony that the negotiators on the EU side have behaved appallingly throughout the whole process. They thought they were on the cusp of victory and getting all their concessions until the electorate (once again) expressed their opinion on the matter and gave Boris Johnson a big parliamentary majority to get this matter resolved once and for all.

The only reason that the EU is playing so hard is that they are terrified of other countries following us out. I'm reading many reports of discontent from Italy, Poland and Hungary but of course the Guardian and BBC don't like to promote that.

Why are a small group of people so desperate for Brexit to be a disaster? Why not grow up and get behind everyone else in wanting your country to make a success of it?

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.