Disco beat...

Harryd
👍

Sun 27 Apr 2008, 21:04

Well, this is interesting.

John, there may well have been some thing coming from Marlborough Place, but it certainly wasn't on the scale of what was coming out of the Forest - somewhere behind Ranger's Lodge, at a guess, though as people in Sturt Close and Hill Close were also complaining it might have been a bit further East. It began with fireworks at about 11, more or less over Ranger's, and turned into pure drum and bass that woke me at 3.30, and carried beyond broad daylight.

West Oxfordhire environmental people were charming and very helpful, accepted that there was problem, couldn't come out themselves, and weren't very optimistic about any posible Police response.

There's a bigger issue here. I've had issues in the past with the Riverside, who are practically on our doorstep, but who really got things together last year and were an exemplary lack of nuisance, and I'd like to thank and congratulate Chris and Andy, and others, in public, for the huge and successful efforts they made to get it right.

The Cornbury Festival is a different matter. In 2006, they had minimal impact. Last year they were very intrusive indeed, and very naughtily turned the volume right up for the last 20 minutes. I wasn't very impressed by the response I had to the extraordinary volume of their testing session, either - when I called to suggest they were being a bit loud, the response was 'But it's a Festival'. That excuses precisely what? What is it about the possession of very powerful amplifiers that gives the owners the right to impose their noise on anyone else? Besides which, how happy is Mr. Phillimore for me to listen to his show without having paid?

There was also the appalling T-Mobile gig. If ever a community was dumped on,that was it.

I don't like Charlbury's being turned into a theme park. Vistors who behave themselves are more than welcome - we have something privileged and special as residents, and it's worth sharing. I also realise that I have to be careful about expressing opinions, and do so with all humility, as I've been connected with Charlbury for an insignificant 35 years, and am still an incomer.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.