Want to try an e-bike?

Miles Walkden
👍 9

Tue 8 Sep 2020, 21:46

OK, I’ll admit it – I’m no eco warrior! I can’t take any credit for the shutting down of central London to bring attention to the dire ecological situation we are in, but, like most people, I try and do what I can to reduce, re-use and recycle.

One area I was keen to improve was the use of the car for small journeys.  Aside from the obvious environmental issue, we live in a small town and traffic pollution and congestion is a serious problem.

Another big issue for me was that of visibility – we are trying to raise children with the environment in mind, and yet every day they see us jumping into the car for the smallest of trips. What we do is always a bigger message than what we say.

So, I used a regular bike and was fairly good at getting it out… in the summer…and when I wasn’t in a hurry… and if it wasn’t raining…and if it wasn’t too far… We all recognise the excuses.

Furthermore, and I don’t know if you’ve noticed this, but Charlbury is very hilly! It may seem vain or trivial, but turning up sweaty to the pub or a friend’s house is rather unappealing to most people.

I’m sure you can see where this is going. I did some research and found an electric bike that suited my needs both as a fun toy for weekend exploration of the surrounding trails, a great source of exercise (yes, more about that another day) and as my main form of transportation around Charlbury and the surrounding towns. I can honestly say I have never looked back (except on the junction at 5 ways – cars coming from every angle).

My bike is now not only my default mode of transport around town but I find myself thinking up reasons to go out, such is the enjoyment I get from riding. I chose a e-MTB (Mountain Bike) so that I can go off at the weekends and hit the trails, but there are e-bikes for all situations. I highly recommend giving it a try and see how it changes your approach to moving around your environment.

If you are interested in learning more about e-bikes please come on Saturday 12th September, 1-2.30pm to Wychwood Paddocks, where you can have a go – book a slot here - https://bookwhen.com/windrushbikeproject

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.