Walking and cycling tourism

Hamish Nichol
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2008, 16:33

An interesting discussion. I personally think that encouraging cycle tourism would be a good idea. However, as a cyclist I don't find Charlbury a good place to cycle around other than the fact that thankfully we have no busy a-roads passing through. The town has evolved to allow cars to dominate the roads as would be expected. For example to cycle from the railway station to the centre of town you have to either cycle a very long route via the crossroads on the Enstone Rd, push your bike along a narrow pavement or through the church yard, or chance your luck cycling the wrong way up the one way street.
Most cyclists have had a 'brush' with another vehicle on the road, and this happens far more than cars knocking into each other. A bright florescent vest certainly seem (so far) to decrease this affection cars have to cycles, well I haven't been 'brushed' recently!
I like the idea of shops having a tool kit, etc. Many european countries have tools available to use at train stations, though they also encourage bicycles on the trains - something that our 'integrated transport system' seems to ignore.
With many of the old byways [Road Used as Public Path] (e.g. Salt Way) now reclassified to restrict any four wheeled or motorised vehicles we should think of other ways of keeping these historic routes in regular use. Otherwise without they will slowly grow over and become impassable. Obviously it's much easier to do this with an old railway line where you're starting with a flat path, though these routes don't necessarily have to be tarmac - a large majority of cyclists have 'mountain bikes' so just a graded surface would be more than adequate.
I would hazardous a guess that there were more walking/cycling tourists when the town had the YHA? (Before I came to Charlbury I'm afraid) Somewhere cheap to stay when touring the area must be a high priority? I would be interested to hear what people remember about when the town had the YHA.
Walking/cycling tourism brings in money to the town which can only be good.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.