Loss of broadband when upgrading to fibre

Steve Jones
👍 1

Sun 19 Apr 2020, 13:06

I should correct one impression. Whilst Talk Talk do resell Openreach services, it's only the part that runs from exchange via the cabinet and then a fibre link hand-off point which, I believe is in Witney. From there it will be a Talk Talk network. There are innumerable configuration settings; some Openreach, some Talk Talk.

There are essentially two levels of connection with a VDSL router. The first is whether it is connected to the VDSL DSLAM box (those big green boxes around the place). If it is, and it synchs to the modem/router, it's part of the link (that bit is all down to Openreach, although sometimes it's Kelly engineers). However, just because it synchs to the VDSL DSLAM, that doesn't necessarily mean that there is Internet connection as that involves a series of other settings.

A move to fibre/VDSL involves quite a few changes as the old ADSL link will have terminated at the Charlbury exchange, and whilst your phone service will still work that way, the Talk Talk broadband will now be via the Witney exchange.

So a few questions :-

1) what lights are illuminated on your router when it's powered up (after a couple of minutes to let it stabilise).

2) have you been able to connect to the router and log into it (in the first instance, you'll have to do that with an Ethernet cable)

3) have you been able to log into the router and look at the status screen which will tell you is it has synched to the local VDSL DLSAM and whether it has connected to the Talk Talk Internet link.

4) If you use WiFi, then have you been able to set that up and do the devices connect?

If you want to give me a call on 810687 or on 07850 987922 I can talk you through checks to do on the router. Note, I don't use Talk Talk myself, but I have helped others, and they all basically work the same way.

I can look online for the Talk Talk router manual.

nb. I did used to work for BT, albeit on IT systems, but I'm familiar with this stuff.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.