Dyers Hill / Thames Street - Big Traffic problems

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 4 Aug 2019, 14:47

Mark,

The organisers couldn't care less about the impact of the Festival on the people of Charlbury.  They just want to make lots of money.

When the Cornbury Festival was held there they used to give us free tickets to compensate for the loss of our parking.  This lot couldn't care less.  Even when they put out "no parking" cones they didn't have the basic courtesy to advise us beforehand.

We and our neighbours are having to park at least 1/4 mile away, and sometimes on Collinson's Row and Woodfield Drive, which isn't much fun if you have spinal stenosis (as I do).  It also simply "spreads" the parking inconvenience throughout the town.

Trying to drop Wife off at the railway station, or pick her up?  Forget it.  Even if you can get along Dyers Hill, you can can only make it as far as the roundabout.  The road to the station is choked with coaches and cars and taxis.

The environmental impact is not good either (although I admit I'm not a scientist).  But I do know that being woken at 6.30 am by articulated lorries for about 3 weeks isn't great.  Also the CO2 emissions from the thousands of cars which pass our house isn't helping my asthma.

I agree Mark, some realistic and informed traffic management is needed, but that would reduce the profit margin so it won't happen. 

As I've said before, I have no objection, per se, to the Festival and hope that the attendees enjoy it.  But some consideration for local inhabitants would be nice.

Finally (!) last night my Wife and I were woken up at about 11.30 pm by a young Romanian, clearly shaken.  He explained that he and his brother had travelled down from Sheffield to attend the Festival.  His brother had the car, and they had got separated and his iPhone battery had died so he couldn't contact him.  We invited him in and gave him our landline to use so that he could call his brother to reassure him and tell him where he could pick him up.  I would have thought that the Festival organisers could shift themselves to have contingencies in place for such eventualities. 

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.