URGENT PUBLIC HEALTH WARNING FOR CHARLBURY

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 10 Oct 2007, 19:31

I hadn't meant to downplay the significance of the sewage issue. I was just speculating about whether the two problems (sewage plus flooding) might be linked and perhaps have a common cause. I was not greatly affected by the flooding in July 2006 but several of my neighbours were severely inconvenienced, with household possessions being ruined and major work having to be carried out to repair the flood damage.

Below are the seven bullet points I put to the councils last year. Bear in mind that these were written over a year ago and that they were prompted by the flooding, not the sewage problem. Some of them may no longer be valid.

• There is a desperate need for more drains to be installed on Pooles Lane between Fishers Lane and the Playing Close – at present, there are a mere two drains on a stretch of road approximately 150 yards long.
• Outside my house, at the foot of Dancers Hill, there is a need for more drains to be installed on the Sandford Rise side of the road.
• There is a drain on Pooles Lane adjacent to the Playing Close which at present is completely blocked with mud and needs to be cleared.
• The "bowl" at the foot of Dancers Hill should be resurfaced with more of a camber on it so that rainwater runs off into the drains rather than just lying on the road. This is also a problem in the winter as standing water tends to freeze and form a sheet of ice in this location. I have photographs taken last autumn (immediately after a new drain had been installed!) to prove that the water does not drain properly in this location.
• Crawborough Road should perhaps be tarmacked because during the recent flood some of the sand and stones which ended up in my garden presumably originated from there.
• When Oxfordshire County Council’s grass-cutting teams cut the verges in Charlbury they should rake up the loose grass to stop it from blocking the drains when it rains heavily.
• Regular sweeping of the streets in Charlbury would prevent litter, leaves, etc. from clogging up the drains during a flood.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.