Where have all the journalists gone?

Nancy Whitfield
👍

Sun 18 Mar 2018, 07:47 (last edited on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 08:10)

How can Charlbury Artweeks artists join together with our Refugees Action Group in their Art Cafe in our parish church and no one reports it? Even though it illustrates to the world the power of man's creativeness to achieve world peace. Anyone who has also been to our Memorial Hall's standing room only sell-out afternoon tea and concerts will realise the truth in what I am saying.
How can one of the world's most famous photographers stand up in Charlbury's Memorial Hall and show photos of Sir Peter Parker's memorial garden created by a hard working volunteer team, and no newspaper reports this? Even though everyone has seen the video of Andrew Lawson, Roddy Llewellyn with the Cotswold GWR Line Manager Teresa Ceersay made many years ago around 2007. Why was this video made, to publicise this garden, plus our iconic heritage station, as a model to the rest of the world, of what a garden and station could and should look like.
And again when Andrew Lawson brought together people like Charlbury's own Jenny Jones, and a 50 strong choir, and planted poppies all along the railings and in the churchyard to create an extremely moving commemoration of the start of the WW1. When Derek Fowler read out each of the names of our 50 or so men killed in action, the tears of emotion were only stopped by the interruption of a GWR train breaking the silence.
And where are the reports of the United Nations Association and Churches Together in Charlbury's efforts of bringing together in our Memorial Hall almost every candidate of the 14 that ran for the very important election held recently to replace our Prime Minister David Cameron?
But let us not forget all the other memorable UNA meetings, held in our Corner House Morris Room: like Andy Bird and his work around the world to try and redress the balance in the world's less wealthy nations; or Sir John Birch's excellent discussion of his life's work for world peace; or the excellent discussions on the work of the Ditchley Foundation, with its many connections to people like our Winston Churchill.
For the same reason I can go into Malvern Priory and meet Dr David Webster, a missionary doctor, working with the Mission Aviation Fellowship, MAF, in Africa, as many others here in Charlbury have done, risking their lives - for what they believe is right and to help others less fortunate. And it is not even reported?
The answer I feel lies somewhere here - the reason that Dr Webster is forever grateful to the late Malcolm Harper for his intervention as Oxfam's Field Director in Africa in the 1960s to make it all possible, for people like him and many others, to dedicate their lives, to helping others. David gave me a copy of his very moving and excellent memoir, which has a foreword written by Malcom Harper, which I feel holds the key to the answer I am asking above. Read the review by Dr Nagi -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimmering-Heat-Memories-Doctor-Africa/dp/1908832460/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X86GCPWW3CJ0GEFW30JB

And here's a cryptic clue I will end on. The answer to my questions also lies with Ann Harper. As she is one of the few people in the world, along with myself, who knows why a bomb shelter was built in 1988 in the tranquil, made famous by Miss Read's "village green" stories, otherwise known world wide as - "Woodgreen", in Witney!

Come on "clever Charlbury", I know there are many expert crossword puzzle people here, who can easily work it out. And thereby hangs another tale...

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.