Future of Retail in Charlbury

James Lavelle
👍

Thu 9 Aug 2007, 23:08

I've been reading these posts with interest. I note that nobody actually seems prepared to shop in Charlbury. There are plenty of comments about going to the Good Food Shop and what shops would be nice, but many authors recognise the reality that people get in their cars and shop elsewhere. I would bet one hundred million dollars that virtually everyone reading this shops at supermarkets in Witney or Oxford despite there being several grocery outlets in Charlbury.

I would also take Issue with Ivan Krechov's comment about Charlbury being the new Burford. Charlbury is in a considerably worse posiiton than Burford. I remember the Burford of 20 years ago - the town was saturated with antique shops. This was the case until a small outlet called the Oxford Shirt Company mysteriously appeared. For some reason the opening of this shop sparked a retail revolution in Burford and all sorts of shops have subsequently opened. The Oxford Shirt Company has evolved into a delightful department store - but in 21st century Burfors it has competition from several other clothes shops, many of the antique shops have gone and there are craft shops, a delicatessan, thriving garden centre, revived Huffkins, wine merchant and so on.

Charlbury, however, isn't Burford. There is no real "centre" to the town and little passing trade. If the locals get in their cars and shop elsewhere or go to the Co-op because of the ease of parking then the other retail outlets will wither and die - as is happening to News and Things. That's the economic reality. More to the point, if there is a demand for housing in Charlbury, then why not allow these premises to shut and become a residential property?

It is a very well-meaning idea to attempt to buy the premises and run it as a community not-for profit store but it's time for a reality check. Is there really £900K's worth of community spirit to buy a property like this? I doubt it when there isn't even enough community support to open a community centre in Charlbury. The residents of Charlbury have got to face facts - they haven't used the store and now they're going to lose the store.

That said, if the Council won't give permission for the shop to become a residential property them maybe the owners could turn it into a nightclub or lap dancing club. Now that would make for interesting discussion on this message board!!

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.