WODC Cabinet member statement on the new rubbish collections

Heather Williams
👍

Wed 8 Nov 2017, 18:17

After emailing the council about flyaway plastics on the 13th October this is the reply I had today:
Dear Ms Williams

Thank you for your email.

We trialled this service for many years, but unfortunately the processing plant is not accepting flyaway plastics. Do the new collection service the Council has entreated a new contract with a processing plant. During the Invitation To Tender stage The Council specified all the requirements including the processing of flyaway plastics. Unfortunately no bidder was able to accept this waste stream.

Instead flyaway plastics such as carrier bags, plastic bag which have contained food items i.e. bread bags, salad bags can be used to line your food waste caddy. The benefit of using such flyaway plastics rather than compostable liners is that they are more expensive than ordinary plastic bags, and can tear or leak, creating a mess. Plastic bags are cheaper and stronger than compostable liners. It also gives residents more options and enables them to use bags which are likely to be more readily available in the home.

Other Fly away plastics such as bubble wrap, cling film, crisp packet can be placed in your rubbish bin which is taken to Energy from Waste plant to be turned into electricity.
There are some types of plastic films that can be recycled in the carrier bag collection points at the larger stores of most major supermarkets including Tesco, Asda, Morrison's, Sainsbury's, The Co-op and Waitrose. See the list below for the different types of plastic films accepted at carrier bag collection points.

Yes please

No thanks

Plastic carrier bags

Any non-Polyethylene film (e.g. PP, PVC, others)

Plastic bread bags (shake out)

Bubble wrap

Plastic cereal bags i.e. Porridge Oats (not inners from boxed cereals)

Clingfilm

Plastic wrappers and ring joiners from multipacks of cans and plastic bottles

Crisp packets

Plastic wrappers from toilet roll and kitchen towel packs

Food and drink pouches

Plastic freezer bags

Film lids from ready meals and food trays

Plastic magazine and newspaper wrap (type used for home delivery only)

Thin bags used for fruit and veg at supermarkets

I hope this answers your questions but please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Kind regards

The Recycling Team

West Oxfordshire District Council
Council Offices, Woodgreen, Witney, OX28 1NB
Tel: 01993 861025
www.westoxon.gov.uk

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.