And now... an Arts Centre for Charlbury?

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Thu 24 Aug 2017, 09:29 (last edited on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 10:00)

Sorry John but i think you are being very unfair to the committee and previous committee members and trustees who have done a fantastic job over the years.
As you know the Corner House and Memorial Hall have been a fantastic and useful buildings in the past and they will still continue to be in the future.
All this talk of "Oh and what will happen to the Corner House ? Now we have this brand new beautiful community "tin shed" Sorry "Centre" ( bloody auto correct ).
Over the years the Corner house committee and trustees has managed to raise thousands of pounds in funds for its running and upkeep from the annual street fair, renting out its rooms, even its own secondhand bookshop and my my they even managed to apply for grants etc, the committee didn't have to resort to going to a public vote to apply for a loan that would result in Charlbury residents having their council tax increased to pay it off over 25 years or so (tell me is that still going ahead not heard a thing ? sorry I digress ).
The result of all grants and fundraising etc ? Well we have a fantastic Memorial hall extension with kitchens which is great asset for the town and lots of rooms available for rent for coffee mornings, club meetings, exhibitions; evening classes the list is endless.
Now it's "Ooh Er" the library has moved ! the daggers seemed to have been drawn with all the how will it survive ? There will even be some saying "oh lets sell them off then we can buy some more stationary supplies for the community centre"
I'm proud to have been a trustee on the corner house and being involved in some small way, voting on proposals put forward by the committee I think all involved have done and will continue to do a sterling job in the running of the corner house and Memorial hall
But back to the original topic of this thread an Arts Centre yes that would be nice but it's up to the committee and its trustees in the running and planning of its future and I trust them to make the right decisions as they have done so well in the past and I'm sure they will in the future.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.