Tyres slashed on Dyers Hill road

Ben Crofts
👍

Sun 5 Mar 2017, 17:48

Dear Residents,

I am writing in a plea for any information regarding any suspicious activity on Dyers Hill road between 3pm Friday 3rd March and 12.30pm Sunday 5th March. Returning to my car (a black Mazda 3, parked legally on the road, obeying the restrictions) after spending a weekend away, I found my two kerbside tyres to be flat. On closer inspection, it was clear that they had been deliberately punctured multiple times in the sidewall, in such a way as to not show any obvious damage unless you looked carefully.

In my case the tyres were so flat there was no possibility to drive using them. However, if the tyres had not been so flat and I had driven on unknowingly, it is highly likely that the tyres will have disintegrated at high speed. A little googling showed that I am not the only person to have fallen victim to the 'Charlbury Slasher' in recent years with many people, both locals and those like myself from the surrounding area, having similar issues in the area near Dyers Hill. Whoever is responsible for these actions is seriously endangering the lives of drivers and others and must be caught before somebody is injured. They may not realise the severity of their actions, but defective tyres are responsible for over 1,200 casualties every year in the UK (Department for Transport statistics).

I understand that station parking is an issue for residents and many will argue that I should have parked in the station car park. But this should not excuse criminal damage. I am not a wealthy individual and find that the fees over a weekend are prohibitively expensive (and by parking on the road, I do tend to have a pint before my train in The Rose and Crown). Now, faced with an over £100 bill for new tyres, that cost seems insignificant. I have reported the incident to the police and any information received, either to me at the number/email below or to the police directly (quoting incident number: 43170065113), will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Ben Crofts
bj.crofts@gmail.com
07972 296878

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.