Smoked out at St Fair

Maeve Bradbury
👍

Tue 20 Sep 2016, 20:14

I'd like to add my gratitude and appreciation to all the Street Fair organisers and volunteers who work so hard to give Charlbury a really fantastic annual event. My husband is one of them and I know how much time and effort is put in for the benefit of this wonderful community of which we are all part.

Amanda, thank you for your feedback which I'm sure will be really useful when it comes to planning next year's event and the positioning of the street fair food stalls in the evening. It is such a shame that it spoilt your evening, unfortunately there is no accounting for the vagaries of the British weather and the direction of the wind. I'm sorry you felt forced to leave early because of it and that there was nowhere in the street more comfortable for you to stand. Perhaps if you had mentioned it to my husband on the evening itself he might have been able to move the BBQ machine behind the awning which might have helped a little?

Leah, just to reiterate Elaine's, Peter's, Rachael's and Susie's point - my husband's BBQ was NOT being run as a commercial venture and neither was the hog roast that he offered during the day. The profits from all his hard work and time invested at the Street Fair go into the community - as they do for other local projects and charities that he supports with his catering. And to be clear, he has over 30 years experience of running a very successful outside catering business for festivals, events and private functions but he chooses to give his time and experience for free to the benefit of OUR community and those of us who live here.

Like all our wonderful Street Fair organisers and volunteers, he should be supported, applauded and thanked. If anybody has any further concerns they would like to raise, can I suggest that they contact Ed or I directly and we would be happy to address them. I'm sure nobody would want to detract from the heroic efforts of this year's Street Fair organisers and volunteers by creating a public fuss, so a private discussion would be more appropriate.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.