The Movement Working Group

Mark Purcell
👍

Mon 23 Mar 2015, 01:38 (last edited on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 07:41)

I'm sorry, Liz, but despite your very evident enthusiasm I am with Christine. There is a clear and obvious democratic deficit underlying the activities of the Charlbury Neighbourhood Forum. This was discussed on this online forum a month ago when it became evident that a number of posters had little idea what the Forum was, what it was up to, and how it derives its mandate. That should have served as a warning. Your task of drafting a strategic plan is massively ambitious, yet there continues to be little or nothing online about the choices we face. There are no decent links on the Forum, yet, as Christine rightly says, other ideas are starting to drift around in an unstructured and unstrategic way, some of them (it seems to me - and evidently Christine too) distinctly eccentric, and certainly confusing. I know you want to recruit an administrator (announced in February), but we're nearly in April and no appointment has yet been announced, even though the original plan was for a referendum in late 2015.

I will be utterly candid, and say right now (in the kindest and friendliest way that I can muster) that I want to see government by democratic elections, but what we seem to be getting here is attempted government by activist, a well-known problem in all walks of life, and especially in Charlbury. There is very little online about the Forum, but in December 2014 your own minutes recorded a meeting with members of the Town Council:

"The meeting was to address a number of Town Councillors concerns regarding whether a Neighbourhood Plan and/or Community Led Plan is the best way forward.
• It was reaffirmed that the Neighbourhood Forum would continue to collect the community's concerns, views and aspirations without limiting scope specifically to a CLP or NP. The actual decision as to whether the outcome of this process is best addressed by either a Community Led Plan or Neighbourhood Plan will be made by the Town Council at a later date once it is clear which approach would be most effective".

Subsequent to this the Town Council requested a 'position statement' from the Forum, which was placed before them on 28 January. There was, according to the minutes, 'considerable discussion', leading to a request that further information about the Forum's thoughts should be placed in the public domain, which, so far as I know, has not occurred. In addition Tony Merry agreed to write a paper 'setting out the the advantages of and need for a Neighbourhood Plan', and that the Council would discuss this at its February meeting (with what conclusion I do not know, as the minutes aren't yet online).

If I am reading this right, then the situation seems to be:

• That the unelected Forum does not yet have quite the mandate it would like to write quite the strategic plan it seems to want to write - the elected Council has not yet even resolved that this plan is necessary;
  • That some of our Councillors, judging by repeated references in their minutes, have considerable misgivings;
  • That there have been repeated shots across the bows that the Council and the public need to know what the Forum is up to, and that by and large this has not been resolved.

I wonder if I am the only one who is beginning to think that all of this would be better dealt with by the Town Council? (and no - I don't think an invitation to become involved as a volunteer addresses the concerns; I and many others simply don't have time to get so heavily involved, while others are not able to get involved in public politics for professional or ethical reasons - but that doesn't mean that we should have to feel we're in danger of being steam-rollered. We elect councillors to represent us).

• Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.