The Movement Working Group

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 22 Mar 2015, 19:37 (last edited on Sun 22 Mar 2015, 19:50)

At the side of the main forum (here), there is a link for discussions relating to the Neighbourhood Plan. But this contains nothing except a few test links: the last one being in January.

But another thread on this forum (20mph Charlbury) includes a link to a different website which also seems to be related to a Charlbury Neighbourhood Plan, and also to their "Movement Working Group". See here: www.charlburyneighbourhoodforum.org.uk/?page_id=5

I am sure everyone is grateful to those who have given time to the CNP. But, if people are really supposed to react to these ideas, members of the CNP need to put up some better links in the forum! This would mean that people would be more likely to respond to the videos, and also to the (rather odd) aims of the Movement Working Group.

The Movement Working Group says nothing about the issues to do with parking (very severe), buses on Sundays (surely easy to argue for, given the S3 goes to Chippy on a Sunday & could come through here at least once or twice a day, en route), nor about other modes of public transport or transport sharing that might reduce car ownership.

Instead a major aim is listed as: "to encourage the sense of one town rather than two". But who feels that Charlbury suffers from a two-town feel? Surely, the problem is that Charlbury feels more and more like a village, with shops increasingly displaced from the historical town centre. And, if so, the aim should be more about attracting people to the old town centre (and not just to the station or to the Co-op).

The Movement Group also suggests that a film about The Poynton Street Project is somehow relevant to Charlbury. But I don't see how. It is a film about a junction in a very urban environment which is not at all like that of Charlbury!

I would have posted these comments under "The Community-Led Plan" in the Forum, except I see (from the other website) that this is supposed to be "for suggesting your ideas - not for criticising others". Doesn't that restriction artificially close down debate?

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.