The Bull Hotel

Brett Porter
👍

Wed 21 Jan 2015, 19:45 (last edited on Wed 21 Jan 2015, 19:45)

My family and I have quite literally only just moved to Charlbury but to hear that the Bull Inn is now in jeopardy is bitterly dissappointing.

We stayed at the Bull Inn on two separate occassions when evaluating whether Charlbury was the perfect place to start the next phase of our life: The food was excellent, the building charming and Alex and the staff warm and welcoming. I cannot speak of the profitability of the business and do not know any of its history however when we stayed in August it was very busy (early December was quite quiet)

I for one do not want to see Alex and Stewart suffer any financial hardship however if it is turned into residential properties then it's impossible to turn back and that charm and history is gone forever.

I completely agree with "use it or lose it" so I will be taking my family to eat there once a week (or possibly once every two weeks - we're paying both rent and a mortgage at the moment and the move here cost a fortune!)

I have also emailed Liz Leffman on her suggestion (below) to learn more about valid grounds of objection but I'm guessing this should include (as others have pointed out):

1. Walkers are Welcome, National Cycle Network, improved train services and the new community centre increasing Charlbury's attractiveness to both tourists and people like myself who want to make Charlbury their home.

2. The history of the inn both in the long term (a 16th century inn) but also the short term (very successful in 2008 or thereabouts)

3. Without the restaurant and B&B there could be increased pressure on the surrounding local businesses due to reduced footfall.

4. To quote John Dora directly "based upon the short term considerations that will affect the heritage look, feel, and economic and commercial future of a vibrant Cotswold town in the much longer term."

Is there anything I've missed off?

I realise that I am the newcomer to the town and therefore could be talking out-of-turn but is there a way to alert those residents who perhaps don't check the forum as regularly or don't have Internet access? If they are in agreement then this could certainly add volume to the objections.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.